Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My grandfather's compass

Article about: There is wrote Compass Captain Adrianov's Model 1911 Improoved By Rifle's Officers School 1 segmentation is 3 degrees or 5 segmentations of protractor

Default My grandfather's compass

Hello all!

This compass was handed down to me by my grandmother. She was born and lived in Zhytomyr during the war. Her family had a large farm and were reasonably well off until all of it was taken away from them.

I think this compass belonged to my grandfather. Unfortunately, I do not know anything about it and cannot read the inscription.

Can anyone offer any help? Thanks!

Default Re: My grandfather's compass

I do like the look of it wish you luck.

Eric

?

i agree very nice ! hope you find more info on it !

The needle sticks from time to time, but it still works! The needle is pointing north in the picture.

?

This is imperial Russian compass. System by Captain Adrianov, modell 1911, upgraded by Rifle's officer's school
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

Quote by Dimas View Post
    This is imperial Russian compass. System by Captain Adrianov, modell 1911, upgraded by Rifle's officer's school
    So is the engraving special and made out to "Captain Adrianov"... or is this engraving seen on all compases of this make/model? Did Captain Adrianov invent/ develop this type of compass ... or do you think my grandfather obtained this compass from Captain Adrianov (maybe I'm related to him somehow... my grandfather's last name was Schelechow)?

What exactly does "upgraded by Rifles Officer's school" mean?

Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by GIZMO8Z; 06-14-2011 at 03:02 PM.

Can anyone offer any more help?

I'm wondering whether or not I should look into having it professionally restored... in other words, cleaning the dust off of the back side of the glass, and removing what seems to be paint chips inside the compass itself that the needle gets stuck on from time to time.

Model invented by captain Adrianov and modified by Rifle's Officers school.

Quote by Inf Div 121 View Post
    Model invented by captain Adrianov and modified by Rifle's Officers school.
    Ohh...ok. So that is the standard engraving on the back of every compass of this type? Can I at least assume that the person who originally owned this compass went to the Rifle's Officer School?

I think that it was standart engraving to thease compasses. Owner of this compass could be never in Officers school, it is only name or type of compass, as I think it was improoved by several men from Officers school and then produced for all Russian troops. I have never seen Russian WWI compass, so thease are only my thoughts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast