Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Paint on soviet shovel

Article about: Hi, before I ask my question, let me introduce myself. My name is Martyn and I have just started RKKA reenacting after leaving the Civil War hobby (been reenacting for 8 years already). I ha

?

Default Paint on soviet shovel

Hi, before I ask my question, let me introduce myself.

My name is Martyn and I have just started RKKA reenacting after leaving the Civil War hobby (been reenacting for 8 years already). I have been perusing this forum as a guest for a couple months and decided since I spend so much time here I may as well create an account.

My question is what was the type of paint most commonly found on Soviet shovels during the war? Or can someone direct me to a source (internet, books, etc.) in which that I can find the information? I have started collecting books and other resources but am always looking for more solid material.

I decided to take a bullet for my unit and pick up a repop that was based on the RKKA shovel and while it was not quite up to my standards, I decided to keep it and make some modifications so it can better pass until I can pick up the real deal. The last touch is repainting it the light olive drab color. I am just unsure as to whether it was acryllic or enamel (I'm thinking enamel) and whether it had a shine or was a dull non reflecting paint.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

-Martyn

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Paint on soviet shovel
    P
    Many

Default Re: Paint on soviet shovel

I am reasonably sure the paint in the second war was largely all types of enamel.

I also suspect the red army paint was not all exactly one percise shade of green. I have a Red army shovel that was used after capture by the Finns, and over painted a bit.

I am fairly sure that shovels in many of the European armies were often from other armies! What does YOUR unit require?? FOr if your unitsays NO! it really doesnt matter how good your paint is!

Look up red army living history, they may help.
    Jagdhorn

?

I'm sure that enamels were the most prevalent, I would just like a reference to use.

The unit standards strive for a higher authenticity than average. My own personal standards are very high, which is why I am asking so many questions about paint. I'm using this project as an example of how others can better their lower quality gear if they choose to do, or take a gamble like I did by buying an item from a new dealer/distributor.

I've already resanded/shaped the handle, rubbed boiled linseed oil into it, and replaced the stock screws with more correct ones.
    Martyn Acsinowicz

The teeth of the wolf are bigger in the mouths of men than they are in the mouth of the wolf.

Hi Martyn, welcome to the forum and RKKA re-enacting!

When you say shovel, do you mean entrenching tool? I have a 1944 dated original entrenching tool and that, like most, was never painted.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Yes, I am refering to the personal issue e-tool. I am sure not all of them are painted, but I seem to remember that some were painted the light olive drab of the RKKA.

I would leave it the metal color, but the metal has a black coating on the metal and I don't have the means to remove it. I already took sandpaper to it and only removed the reflective shine.
    Martyn Acsinowicz

The teeth of the wolf are bigger in the mouths of men than they are in the mouth of the wolf.

DON'T USE SANDPAPER, just start to dig with it, all origanal shovels was without paint. Most of Soviet soldiers made shovel modifications, on photo You can see shovel found in Kurland. Shovels also was used like hand to hand fight weapon, it was very efective weapon almost like axe, but shovel also could be thrown like knife.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Paint on soviet shovel   Paint on soviet shovel  

?

Thank you all for your responses.

Does anyone have documentation about E Tools being issued/manufactured unpainted during the war? I have seen pictures of shovels that were dated war time and do have paint on them. Now I am wondering if the paint is from post war shelving or re-issuing.

I'd like to be able to reference documents and sources when discussing this topic with others.

Again, thank you for your responses.
    Martyn Acsinowicz