Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Possible Pocket Watch: Russian

Article about: I bought this pocket watch in Adana, Turkey a few years ago in a knife shop. I'm sure it's not WWII related but has anyone seen anything like it before and know a bit of history on it? Its v

Default Possible Pocket Watch: Russian

I bought this pocket watch in Adana, Turkey a few years ago in a knife shop. I'm sure it's not WWII related but has anyone seen anything like it before and know a bit of history on it? Its very heavy and large, the back has a train on it and the front has the classic winged wheel for the railways. I added the chain and it says made in Russia in English though.? Your thoughts?

CM -

Possible Pocket Watch: RussianPossible Pocket Watch: Russian

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Possible Pocket Watch: Russian
    P
    Many

Turkish railroad watch - plenty of them on eBay - post-war probably 1950-1960s

Demiryolu means railway in Turkish!....

Was it even made in Russia?? I would think if it was made in Russia is would say as Much in Russian.

Quote by cjmpaintings View Post
    Was it even made in Russia?? I would think if it was made in Russia is would say as Much in Russian.
    Made for export!...

Not really an actually Used "Railroad Watch", but rather a made for tourists piece to try to get into and capitalize on the highly collectable "RailRoad Watches" market. Unfortunately, these Russian watches are simply poor quality things-not at all like a genuine RR watch such as an Illinois Bunn Special or a Waltham. They may or may not keep somewhat good time, but nowhere near the total accuracy of a true Railroad Approved watch which was accurate to 6 seconds in 72 hours and in 5 to 6 different positions as well, not to mention temperature, etc. The classic American railroad watch was a miniature work of art.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Almost certain to have been made after 1991, otherwise it would be marked made in USSR (export items are often marked in English)