Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Red Army Pocket litter

Article about: Hi I am always facinated with the stuff soldiers keep in their pockets and haversacks. I have nothing on Red Army troops. What are some o f the things they carried? (I know id cyclinders, sp

Default Red Army Pocket litter

Hi
    I am always facinated with the stuff soldiers keep in their pockets and haversacks. I have nothing on Red Army troops.
    What are some o f the things they carried? (I know id cyclinders, spoons, and rifle cleaning gear) but notebooks, jack knives, sewing kits, matches, lighters, manuals, patches for cleaning the rifle bore- were they flannel l like the Brits, or stringy things like Germans?
    Also, I have read they carried a camo net for their own camo use- does any one have photos of this?
    I know Red Army troops liberated lots of German bikes- did they have an army issue model?

for your help, thanks!
    Jagdhorn

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Red Army Pocket litter
    P
    Many

comrade coffin
    ?

Default Re: Red Army Pocket litter

There are a lot of questions here jadhorn

Here is a good link to matchbox labels:

http://phillumeny.onego.ru/index.html?WinLIKE_Deep="var%20j=new%20WinLIKE.win dow('',158,215,580,1580,50);j.Nam='main';j.Ski='ha lfzero';j.Adr='labels/russian/russ.html';WinLIKE.addwindow(j,true);"

Lighters were ofter of the trench art type & there is a thread on the forum about this.

I understand that lighters were more available than matches.

Tobacco pouches were a common item - an oval drawstring fabric pouch, often with patriotic slogans embroidered on them. Cigarette paper was rarely obtainable, so scrap paper was used - especially newspaper.

Cleaning cloth would most probably be highly variable & possibly even scavenged; assuming they bothered to clean the rifles at all.

Camo nets were about a meter square & illustrations can be found in infantry training manuals, plus some posed photos- here is a link to the manuals:

http://kv.rsm.org.ru/book.htm

I doubt that these were issued post 41 though