Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Russian Knife

Article about: Hello everyone I received this knife as a gift from someone and was wondering what its history is and value if any? If anyone can tell me any information such as this knives history/purpose

James84
    ?

Question Russian Knife? Possibly WW2?

Hello everyone I received this knife as a gift from someone and was wondering what its history is and value if any? If anyone can tell me any information such as this knives history/purpose and or worth it would be greatly appreciated thanks guys.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Russian Knife   Russian Knife  

Russian Knife   Russian Knife  

Last edited by Adrian Stevenson; 02-28-2010 at 11:13 AM.

2. # ADS

Default Re: Russian Knife

Hi James, welcome to the forum!

I have added the pics for you directly. No need to use a host site: see "FAQ" on how to directly upload pics.

The knife is not Russian. The only Soviet item here is the cap star which has been glued to the bayonet scabbard. The star is wartime.

The scabbard is actually WW2 American.

The knife is not Russian. It could be a very heavily modified US M1 which has been cut down and plated. But the whole item is a made up put together peice. Sorry it is not good news. But at least someone was kind enough to give you it as a gift.

Cheers, Ade.

The scabbard is most definitely, a U.S. M-8 scabbard. This style of scabbard was being issued late in WWII, but this one is more likely a Korean war era scabbard, as the short bayonet was not sent to Europe much.

I have a question, does the bayonet/knife lock into the scabbard?

It is pretty clear from the pictures, that the bayonet loop has been ground off, and the normal plastic grips have been replaced by home made wooden ones. I would agree with Ade, that this started life as either a 16, or 12 inch bayonet, and was probably cut off, after being broken, or otherwise damaged.

are there any markings, or cartouches on the hilt end of the blade? I also notice that the blood gutter runs the full length of the blade, and just disappears into the point. This is not a common trait among U.S. blades, which just reinforces the broken/modified aspect of the blade.

It is a very interesting piece, but really isn't what you hoped for, I'm afraid.

Sorry

Boridin

Post-war imagination....

staig
    ?

Forgery, imagination.

IMO, it is entirely possible such a thing was crafted by a bored GI while waiting to go home after May 1945...

These star-cockardes were much sought after as souvenirs by our boys - and they did have much time on their hands to create such imaginative things...
    Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam!

Quote by RichieC View Post
    ...and they did have much time on their hands to create such imaginative things...
    When they weren't busy defiling the natives.

LOL