Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

russian pouch for grenade RGD 33

Article about: Here's a couple, the green one has a 1944 date on stamp and is the heavier burlap. The tan one I cannot read and has a pigskin leather backing on the closure. I'm sure the variations are end

Default Re: russian pouch for grenade RGD 33

Here's a couple, the green one has a 1944 date on stamp and is the heavier burlap. The tan one I cannot read and has a pigskin leather backing on the closure. I'm sure the variations are endless.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture russian pouch for grenade RGD 33   russian pouch for grenade RGD 33  

russian pouch for grenade RGD 33   russian pouch for grenade RGD 33  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement russian pouch for grenade RGD 33
    P
    Many

Default Re: RGD-33 grenade pouches

Quote by Kilroy Was Here View Post
    You are right!! The saying is....... better late.....than never.

Regards
    You are absolutely right.

Very nice pouches Markratz1. I am surprised that one of your pouches is 1944 dated. I always thought that the RGD-33 grenade was replaced by the RG-42 grenade at that time.

The 1944 date stamp did not photograph well, but it is clearly 1944. This was one of the iterms that came out of the Viet Nam Museum take. It has a plastic Chinese button for the closure that was re-sewn.

Quote by Markratz1 View Post
    Here's a couple, the green one has a 1944 date on stamp and is the heavier burlap. The tan one I cannot read and has a pigskin leather backing on the closure. I'm sure the variations are endless.

Nice Markratz, thanks for showing. Here is one I found with similar closure like yours but no pigskin backing. It appears that this was one was actually issued and used. It is very thin soft light weight cloth on this one.
    It has a name inked on the back that looks like maybe Russian letters. Maybe someone can tell what the name is?

Regards, Steve
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture russian pouch for grenade RGD 33   russian pouch for grenade RGD 33  

russian pouch for grenade RGD 33  

Quote by Markratz1 View Post
    The 1944 date stamp did not photograph well, but it is clearly 1944. This was one of the iterms that came out of the Viet Nam Museum take. It has a plastic Chinese button for the closure that was re-sewn.
    Interesting. Your pouch gives me the idea that the RGD-33 was still in production in 1944. It seems that your grenade pouch was reused by the Chinese than. And after the Chinese it was possibly reused by the Vietcong.
    I have heard that US soldiers captured RGD-33 grenades from the Vietcong during the Vietnam War. These RGD-33 grenades should be Chinese variants. I searched on the Internet to find something about this Chinese RGD-33 variant but I could not find anything. Neither a Vietnamese or North Korean variant.
    I just found this interesting website about grenades; Russian hand- and riflegrenades .

Quote by Asjemenou View Post
    Interesting. Your pouch gives me the idea that the RGD-33 was still in production in 1944. It seems that your grenade pouch was reused by the Chinese than. And after the Chinese it was possibly reused by the Vietcong.
    I have heard that US soldiers captured RGD-33 grenades from the Vietcong during the Vietnam War. These RGD-33 grenades should be Chinese variants. I searched on the Internet to find something about this Chinese RGD-33 variant but I could not find anything. Neither a Vietnamese or North Korean variant.
    I just found this interesting website about grenades; Russian hand- and riflegrenades .
    The Chinese never made RGd33's. Asjemenou.... If you like RGD-33's, Take a look at this trainer I got a while ago. very rare........very interesting design and functioning too. The pics are on Lex's site that you found also.

RGD 33 practice

Regards, Steve
    "Dr.Ruby"

Last edited by Kilroy Was Here; 04-05-2010 at 09:01 AM.

Here is a F1 pouch in my collection that has the same closure type as RGD-33 pouch as 19944kam21's, at beginning of this thread.
    This pouch is dated 1945 so they must have used this closure late war also.

Regards

As far as the RGD-33 use in Viet Nam, I could see them using the RGD Pouch for use with thier Type 68 Stick grenades. The Chinese made a 2 and 3 cell carrier that was very crude but practical. The Russian RGD pouch could easily accomodate the Type 68 grenade. The Type 68 was produced in China and exported as well as made in country by the NVA and VC. Just a cast head with filler on a wooden hollow stick with friction fuze. We had three cases of Type 68 grenades that never had filler put in. Was nice to complete the display with actual grenades versus trainers.

Maybe I will takes pics of the Chinese carriers and grenades to show tomorrow. Need to dig em out.

Kilroy, was at a local Gun Show here last week, a guy had a stack of your type F-1 pouches same color and hardware for $10.00 US each. Should have bought one, like the look.

Mark

Nothing can be found about a possible Chinese produced RGD-33 grenade. That leaves me to the conclusion that you must be right. Maybe they bought the grenades from the Soviets and resold them to the Vietcong.
    I read that the Soviets stopped producing it because it was too expensive to produce and too intricate to use.
    Your pictures of the RGD-33’s are interesting to see. Are these grenades dated?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast