Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Russian Rucksack

Article about: I just received this rucksack(from Bulgaria). i was attracted by its dimensions 18 x 22 inches and the fact that it looks like it has seen some action1 there are many stains on it, each of w

Default Russian Rucksack

I just received this rucksack(from Bulgaria). i was attracted by its dimensions 18 x 22 inches and the fact that it looks like it has seen some action1 there are many stains on it, each of which might have an interesting story to tell! There are no buckles and the strap is broken. There is a piece of string - which looks original - to hold the two straps in place across the chest. Does it seem of GPW vintage? I can't find any markings at all.
    thanks
    Ian
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Russian Rucksack   Russian Rucksack  

Russian Rucksack  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Russian Rucksack
    P
    Many

Default Re: Russian Rucksack

Hi Ian, the contruction and materials are different to wartime packs I have seen. The straps usually have reinforcing stitching on them where they would pass over the wearers shoulders. The canvas looks to be a bit heavier in weight.

Let's hope for some further input on this one.

Cheers, Ade.

Hi Ian,
    Here are 3 photos of the Russian rucksack I own.
    They are different but all 3 have in common : The fabric, stitching, size.
    The bag you this seems small and the straps seem too thin.
    Perhaps the Bulgarian army with a little bag identical to those of the Red Army.

Russian Rucksack

Russian Rucksack

Russian Rucksack

Russian Rucksack

Regards.
    Philippe

Thanks for your help -Ade & Phillipe. It was the dimensions of the pack which attracted my eye, as I gathered that post-GPW packs were longer and then gained a pocket? The material of my pack is a fairly coarse weave. although quite light. However, my pack straps do not have any re-inforcing stitching.
    Maybe it is Bulgarian.

It seems so difficult to locate genuine stuff! And I thought I had found something.
    Ho Hum!

Ian

Guys

My heart slowly fell as i viewed this Bulgarian rucksack on e-bay, described as post-WW2. I suppose it is good to have solved the mystery and put one more piece into the how-to-identify-Russian GPW-equipment jigsaw!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Russian Rucksack   Russian Rucksack  

AHollis13
    ?

What are the dimensions of a typical meshok bag? The posts above suggest that 18x22" is a different size for these bags. I do not have one of my own, but I would like to know how to tell between originals and reproductions.