Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Soviet Glass Canteens?? Navy Canteen Cover??

Article about: While reviewing this, thought I would add a cover with a German button and what would appear to be German cloth as well. Hey wait a minute, there's no ink stamp, does that mean it's a fake??

Default Soviet Glass Canteens?? Navy Canteen Cover??

Hi, I was hoping some more advanced collectors would share their knowledge of these canteens and covers. I have been collecting a few WW2 glass canteens varieties, and have these 3 so far. I need to find a completely clear one also. I think these are all the 4 colors of glass. I will also be finding a nice aluminum style canteen for the collection.

Two of them, the brown and greenish canteens were made by same maker.
    Does anyone know the maker?

I just got these 3 canteen covers in the mail from Russia. Two are dated 1942, and one cover with long straps (I think early cover??) is not dated.

One of the covers has a "Navy"??? button. Is this original to the cover? did the Navy have their covers with anchors on buttons?

Thanks, Regards, Steve
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Soviet Glass Canteens?? Navy Canteen Cover??   Soviet Glass Canteens?? Navy Canteen Cover??  

Soviet Glass Canteens?? Navy Canteen Cover??   Soviet Glass Canteens?? Navy Canteen Cover??  

Soviet Glass Canteens?? Navy Canteen Cover??   Soviet Glass Canteens?? Navy Canteen Cover??  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Soviet Glass Canteens?? Navy Canteen Cover??
    P
    Many

Default Re: Soviet Glass Canteens?? Navy Canteen Cover??

The canteen covers shown are typical of wartime stocks quantities. From the amount of rust on the back of the Naval button and little if any corresponding rust on the fabric, it was possibly replaced at sometime. I have seen piles of these canteen covers with the same stamp inside and have a few myself. They variation in color and buttons are probably infinite in number. Given the random number of button variations found on these things, if the button was replaced it was likely done so simply because it needed a button. The fact that it ended up being a naval button is mere coincidence. I do not think it is a navy issue indication.

Hi Mike, interesting, thanks for info.

OK, sure, button is maybe replaced, who knows. Here is pic of more rust stains.
    I love these Soviet made items. I have 14 completely different war dated F1/RG-42 grenade pouches, and 4 RGD-33 pouches, they are harder to find it seems. If you know of any more RGD-33.....
    It's fascinating the variety of different materials, colors, closure methods, buttons, wood pegs, buckles of all types, sewn backwards, sideways etc. It seems endless. Great for collectors

Do you think that if I find a "clear" canteen for the 4th wooden peg on the stand I made, these will be all the color glass canteens encountered??

These colors are all I have seen, How about you?

BTW: The date stamps are on the outside on these two covers

Regards, Steve
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Soviet Glass Canteens?? Navy Canteen Cover??   Soviet Glass Canteens?? Navy Canteen Cover??  

Hi Steve, I have seen a dark blue glass canteen too, but only in an online pic.

Cheers, Ade.

Steve,

Would a clear make all the colors encountered? I doubt it. I have a transparent yellow glass example that comes from the same molds as the dark amber types. Also there is a smaller version that can be found that in a very dark green glass.

I too have numerous variation of F1 and RGD pouches as well as canteen covers. I love the variations as well, but they are probably infinite in variety and have slowed my accumulation as a result of that conclusion.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Steve, I have seen a dark blue glass canteen too, but only in an online pic.

Cheers, Ade.

Hi Ade, I should have made a display stand for 6 maybe? I will keep a keen eye out for a blue one, and any others. Blue are pretty rare I imagine. I like these colored glass canteens.

Regards, Steve

Quote by Wesley's Dad View Post
    Steve,

Would a clear make all the colors encountered? I doubt it. I have a transparent yellow glass example that comes from the same molds as the dark amber types. Also there is a smaller version that can be found that in a very dark green glass.

I too have numerous variation of F1 and RGD pouches as well as canteen covers. I love the variations as well, but they are probably infinite in variety and have slowed my accumulation as a result of that conclusion.
    Hi Michael, OK, thanks, I will also keep a keen eye for these also.

I am done with the canteen covers now, 3 nice ones is enough, but I will not stop trying to get as many different F1 & RGD-33 pouches as possible. Maybe they are not infinite, and will end somewhere
    I will post pics of 5 new additions of F1 pouches sometime. 3 of them are very interesting versions.

Regards, Steve

Quote by Kilroy Was Here View Post
    Hi, I was hoping some more advanced collectors would share their knowledge of these canteens and covers. I have been collecting a few WW2 glass canteens varieties, and have these 3 so far. I need to find a completely clear one also. I think these are all the 4 colors of glass. I will also be finding a nice aluminum style canteen for the collection.

Two of them, the brown and greenish canteens were made by same maker.
    Does anyone know the maker?

I just got these 3 canteen covers in the mail from Russia. Two are dated 1942, and one cover with long straps (I think early cover??) is not dated.

One of the covers has a "Navy"??? button. Is this original to the cover? did the Navy have their covers with anchors on buttons?

Thanks, Regards, Steve
    "Ó.Ç." means Urshelski savod (plant) where these canteen were produced.
    Navy button means that this cover were used by marines or infantry fought near sea side sity (maybe Leningrad) or navy base ( Murmansk, Sevastopol)
    Here is another cover type.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Soviet Glass Canteens?? Navy Canteen Cover??  

Quote by Komandir RKKA View Post
    "Ó.Ç." means Urshelski savod (plant) where these canteen were produced.
    Navy button means that this cover were used by marines or infantry fought near sea side sity (maybe Leningrad) or navy base ( Murmansk, Sevastopol)
    Here is another cover type.
    My dark green canteen is like the example just shown here. Same cover as well.

I would still disagree that the navy button on the canteen cover means this cover was for navy use with any sort of confidence. It looks to be replaced, so no telling when or by who it was put on. More likely a replacement in my opinion, probably sewn on by a Soviet conscript servicing the military stocks with a needle, thread, and box of random buttons. Much like the crazy colors of paint often seen slopped on the metal fittings of grenade and PPSH pouches coming from the stocks.

I have had the fortune of digging through two different lots of literally hundreds of canteen covers each over the years. They had every button imaginable, even many types of German buttons. Does that mean such was used by a German?

Besides we all know that if it was navy it would be black cloth as well
    ... that was a joke of course.

?

As simple a lot of the irems go back to the stocks after they was issued, then cleaned, sorted, and repaired. The navy button could be attached because the buttons for repair couuld be also assorted, and no one will look at the button. That is important for us, but not for the owner or for the repairer
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast