Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Soviet Messtin

Article about: Hello, I have this Soviet messtin. Is it likely to be wartime? Any help appreciated. I notice it matches the one in the book The Soviet Soldier, but I would appreciate confirmation as I've s

Default Soviet Messtin

Hello, I have this Soviet messtin. Is it likely to be wartime? Any help appreciated. I notice it matches the one in the book The Soviet Soldier, but I would appreciate confirmation as I've seen this stamp on some postwar items. There are no other markings. I realize Soviet items can be hard to date, what I need to know is if there is a good reason why this should not be in a WW2 collection.

Doug
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Soviet Messtin   Soviet Messtin  

Last edited by douglas2496; 03-30-2014 at 08:21 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Soviet Messtin
    P
    Many

This type of messtin has been in use from pre 1917 times through mid 50s - see pictures Êîòåëîê êðóãëûé ñòàëüíîé
    The OTK (quality control department) stamp was introduced in 1926.

Dom
    ?

Doug,

can get a top view (side marking).

Thanks

Hi,
    Here are some photos that can help you.
    I compared the mess-tin dated 1940 with an undated model.
    There are some differences: the mess-tin dated 40 is slightly higher, its handle is larger, the attachment of the handle is with rivets and its color is a little clearer.
    Marking 'OTK is different (I do not know if that marking had several variations).
    The mess-tin M27 has a lateral marking.
    Mess-tin M24 but generally have a marking ink on the underside of the mess-tin.
    Soviet MesstinSoviet MesstinSoviet MesstinSoviet MesstinSoviet MesstinSoviet MesstinSoviet MesstinSoviet MesstinSoviet Messtin
    Philippe

Thanks for the responses. My own research rather suggests that the OTK 10 stamp is a postwar marking, and the tin rather matches that shown in the first responses which is 53 dated. There are also clear differences with war dated examples such as the one Phillipe shows. Dom, its not going to be easy for me to re-photograph this due to a busy schedule but I will try to do it if you think it might help.

Many thanks, Douglas

?

Hi.
    This is a canteen model 1936, but unfortunately the production of the '50s. OTK means technical control.
    I am sending pictures very similar "kotelok" production in 1951
    Soviet MesstinSoviet Messtin

Thank you.