Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Soviet WWII cigarettes

Article about: Recently I got a pack of Soviet-Russian cigarettes. The person from whom I got it, got it from his father. His father got the cigarettes from a Canadian soldier at the end of the war. He alw

Default Soviet WWII cigarettes

Recently I got a pack of Soviet-Russian cigarettes. The person from whom I got it, got it from his father.
    His father got the cigarettes from a Canadian soldier at the end of the war. He always kept the cigarettes as a war souvenir.
    Or the story is true cannot be confirmed and unfortunately the package is not dated.
    The sigarette box is in a good condition. It has some minor damages but it still has its original golden seal. The pack should contain 20 cigarettes. Sixteen of them are still in the package.
    I searched on the Internet for information about the Soviet cigarettes brand “Troika”. Unfortunately I could not find that much.
    The brand “Troika” should be established in the 1920's by the tobacco factory Dukat in Moscow.
    I have seen a few pictures of other Troika cigarette packages. There is a mutual difference in terms of inscription on the packaging. Apparently the cigarettes were also manufactured in Leningrad (St. Petersburg).

Can someone tell me more about my pack of “Troika” cigarettes? Could it be war dated?

Soviet WWII cigarettes

Soviet WWII cigarettes

Soviet WWII cigarettes

Soviet WWII cigarettes

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Soviet WWII cigarettes
    P
    Many

In the photo number three, at the bottom left, is designated as the state standard for the manufacture of cigarettes - ГОСТ 3935-47. As far as I know, the number "47" is the year when this standard was officially approved. In this case - 1947.

Hi, I just can talk about my experience with ГОСТ and Soviet matches. All ГОСТ .....-47 matches were made post war, even the matches with ГОСТ .....-45 were made early post war. A good method to find out, if an item was made before or after 1945, is to find an old advertising, f.e. in newspapers or journals, which were published before ´45. If the item design on advertising sign-plate is the same, you can be sure, that the item was produced and sold at that time.

The packaging looks a little too fancy for war time production!...

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    The packaging looks a little too fancy for war time production!...
    I have seen Soviet coffee and tea packages from wartime with a very fancy design, but generally youre right, commercial became more colorful and splendid since the 50s. And by the way, the most people were poor in Russia at that time, and such noble cigarettes were just used by the upper class like politicians and movie stars. The common Ivan has used his Machorka and self-made pipe.

Default Troika cigarettes

Thanks for your reactions. I also doubted that the cigarettes were war dated. The GOST code (ГОСТ 3935-47) made me also doubt.
    What is also questionable is the packaging of the cigarettes in the box. It is made of aluminum foil (cannot be seen at the pictures).
    I think aluminum was important for the war industry. This should not be wasted on the packaging of cigarettes.

Maybe the cigarette box looks too fancy for being a war time production but the brand “Troika” should be established in the 1920's. I am not sure that the package remained unchanged until 1947.
    Finally, the cigarettes were exclusive. They were made of the best tobacco; "сигареты высшего сорта № 1".
    Special about the Troika cigarettes was that they were oval in shape. I do not think they were meant for the ordinary Soviet citizen.

I found on the Internet some pictures of packages of difference in print. Note the price and GOST listing.

Soviet WWII cigarettes

Soviet WWII cigarettes

Soviet WWII cigarettes

The cigarettes were also exported. The packing in the advertisement has an English imprint.

Soviet WWII cigarettes

Another method to find out the right period of an item is to write a mail to the comapny, which produces this kind of cigarettes. If this brand still exist, you can ask the time of production. A friend of me is collecting German Wehrmacht rations and had the same problem like you with a German ATA powder. We wrote a mail to the Henkel company and they were very friendly and checked their archives and told us the right period of production.

Even though 1947, these are still quite a collectable pack of smokes. In 1947 Russia, much of the country still lay in ruins and although the active fighting had finally ceased, the war was still very much present wherever one looked. Nearly everyone had lost a family member-quite often several or even all, and so many houses, dwellings and businesses were utterly destroyed. Hundreds of thousands of German soldiers could be seen everywhere, but no longer carrying weapons and wearing helmets. Instead, they carried shovels, pushed wheelbarrows and cleared and carried rubble. 20 Million Russian dead was an enormous shock and loss to the country, although the "Man of Steel" Stalin was still in control and thinking out his next big plans.

So, yes, they may not be Strictly Wartime, but the times and history that this little pack of smokes came from was an time of History indeed. Leningrad or Moscow? Take your pick. Either city was still reeling from the devastation and to have recovered to the extent to be able to produce the much famed Troika cigarettes again was a tribute to the resiliency of the Russian people. Your pack of Soviet cigarettes would be welcome to many a collector, I am sure!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I think that if a pack is written to ГОСТ 47, there is no reason to doubt the "post-war" release these cigarettes. After all, we are to trust what our eyes see, is not it?

PS
    ГОСТ 3935-47 - the first post-war standard for "cigarettes", appeared after the war. Before the war, this ГОСТ did not exist:

Soviet WWII cigarettes

Example:

Soviet WWII cigarettes

During the war ( and before the war) used other ОСТ and ГОСТ, s - for "papirosses" :

Soviet WWII cigarettes

Example postwar:

Soviet WWII cigarettes

http://www.rucig.ru/gost.htm
    Last edited by dimmuborgir95; 12-29-2016 at 10:44 AM.

Default Troika cigarettes

Dimmuborgir95, thanks for the explanation and the link to the informative website.
    This website contains plenty of examples of Troika cigarettes; ?????????? ????? ??????. ????, ???????? ??????? ?????? .
    Even an example which is before 1917; ??????????????? (?? 1917 ????) ???????? ??????? ?????? ?? ????? ? (?? ?????? ????????? ????? ????????). ???? ?????????? ?????, ???????? .

Even though my pack of cigarettes is post war, it is still a nice object.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast