Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

USSR Lighter?

Article about: Hi, Was looking for more information on this lighter I have, I would like to do research but I wouldn't even know what to search so here I am hoping someone with exptertease may be able to a

DrMoonMan
    ?

Default USSR Lighter?

Hi,

Was looking for more information on this lighter I have, I would like to do research but I wouldn't even know what to search so here I am hoping someone with exptertease may be able to advise me.

The lighter itself looks a bit dated, probably the insignia was added at a later date. I have a feeling my mother may have brought it back from Budapest but I can't remember.

The main question I have is what fuel would I put in this to get it going? Petrol? I tried zippo lighter fluid to no avail. This is quite a nice little piece which I would like to use as a lighter, be it genuine or not.

Sorry for the poor images, hopefully someone can get an idea of what I'm dealing with.

Thank You!

USSR Lighter?
    USSR Lighter?
    USSR Lighter?

2. # ADS

Default Re: USSR Lighter?

Comrade, The Cap Star looks very post GPW, used till the 1990's.

As stated the two are from different periods, while the lighter looks to have some age the cap badge is relatively new. An interesting piece nonetheless.
    You could try paraffin as fuel, a friend uses turpentine in his, but it smells.
    Tom

?

did you replace the flint? You're probably going to want to put a new flint in. It goes underneath the wheel, usually there is something on the bottom that you can unscrew, with a spring. Be careful when you take it out so the spring doesn't go flying. Put a new flint in where you pulled the spring out, spring back in, tighten it up, and it should work! failing that, more lighter fluid, make sure the cotton is fully soaked in fluid so that it can seep into the wick.

DrMoonMan
    ?

Thank you all for getting back in touch!

@ People's Army - Thanks, that gives me a little more information to go on!

@StuG III - Paraffin sounds like it may do the trick nicely but I will look into this Turpentine as well, thanks Tom!

@doomtown - I haven't replaced the flint yet but it still sparks so I'm okay for just now. The sort of flint replacement your talking about is more for a Zippo, this lighter has a solid body with no opening other than these two at the top. I think to replace the flint I would unscrew the wheel and there will be some sort of assembly. So yea it's not so much the flint issue as it is the wrong fuel I was using I think. Thanks for your info though

Check that the wick is not too tight in the chimney, it'll strangle the fuel flow.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

DrMoonMan
    ?

Now that you mention that Ned I have taken a look and the wick is very tight, I have no doubt if this wasn't already an issue then it would have been in the future so thanks for advising me. Just need to find somewhere that does slimmer wicks. I would have though they were just a generic size these days.

Try using an 'IMCO' wick. They're made in Austria but available on the net for pennies. They are different from the Zippo type by not having a copper winding on them to fascilitate fitting, they use a needle instead. This may make them a better fit for your lighter.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

DrMoonMan
    ?

Excellent! You know the business that's for sure. I will look into those as well, hopefully I can get this lighter up and running will be a nice change to disposable lighters!