MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

WWI or WWII binoculars?

Article about: I really need help on this one, This item is a little different for me as I'm normally an EK collector. These binoculars have just come into my care and I know very little about them. To be

?

Default WWI or WWII binoculars?

I really need help on this one,

This item is a little different for me as I'm normally an EK collector.

These binoculars have just come into my care and I know very little about them. To be honest I have been looking on the forum for a few days now and every time I think I've found a match I see something that is slightly different on my pair. All I know is that they have been in my wife's family all of her life and she used them with her dad on walks when she was a child. They have so many memories for her and they will stay with us and be passed on to the next generation when we go.

The only other information I have is that my wife's uncle was a Desert Rat and served with the 8th Army through most of the war until wounded and medically discharged.

I am very grateful for any help members may give to Identify these and I thank you in advance.

Wilko (Ken)

P.S They are very will used and could do with a restoration or good lens and prism clean.

WWI or WWII binoculars? WWI or WWII binoculars?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WWI or WWII binoculars?
    P
    Many

Ahh I wish I could help as I have a bunch of optics in my collection and as on most things I'm out of touch!! but I can say that, down here civilians where asked to donate their optics for the war effort with a possibility of their return on wars end & serial numbered for ref. Here's a French set pressed into service.
    Sorry Ken for going off your topic

?

Well, the case is clearly issue (with broad arrow and nice unit marking), though there doesn’t appear to be any military markings on the bins themselves... Is there anything on the other side?

Telact glasses were made by Karl Zeiss, Jena, Germany. These probably date from the mid- to late(ish)-1930s, as many German optics were purchased from Germany, prior to the war, as they were the best.

Edit: Just spotted the broad arrow on the binoculars themselves, so it’s a full Military set... Nice!

Extra-lovely with all the family history!

Cheers,
    Bob

These are WW1 era German manufactured Carl Zeiss TELACT binoculars... I must confess that I cannot see the broad arrow on them though.

Cheers,
    Steve

?

Just to the left of the maker’s mark...
    Took me a while to spot it too!

I stand corrected, Harry. It appears the Telact model was produced from 1907 - 1914.
    Much earlier than they look.

Serial number indicates 1913, though I don’t know what the ‘R’ prefix denotes.

Very nice indeed.

Bob

These are German Zeiss made binoculars manufactured for The British Army before WW1. Of course, Zeiss stopped making British Army optics before 1914. In response to Steve's point, they do have a broad arrow next to the manufacturers mark.

I have a very similar Zeiss pair dated 1909, also broad arrow marked.

I do see the broad arrow now... I spotted it before, but I rather stupidly put it down as a scratch! A nice set of bins.

?

Thank you so much for all the replies and help in identifying these Binoculars. They have as I say been in my wife's family probably since the second world war. But who knows, they may go back further than that in the family. Sadly there is know way to check that history now.

Once again I thank you all for your replies, I will pass on the information to my wife.

Ken

I forgot to add that I hadn't seen the Broad Arrow by the name Telact either. Really thank you so much.

Fellows,

I recently purchased a pair of Hensoldt Wetzler binoculars with an interesting inscription. The inscription on the front reads:

Inscription: Geburtstagsgeschenk der Sektion I fur B.H. I zum18.10.1935

Translation: Birthday present from Section I for B.H. I on October 18, 1935

My research , or opinion, on the inscription, is as follows:

In 1935, the Abwehr, German military intelligence, was divided into three sections:

I. Reconnaissance

II.Cipher and Radio monitoring

III. Counterespionage

Could these binoculars have been given, as a present by his unit, Section I, to B.H. ? This would be an appropriate gift for someone in military reconnaissance. And the fact that the binoculars are 8 x 30, not 6 x 30, which was the standard magnification for field operations. Someone with his job could surely use more powerful glasses for observation.

As I might be stretching things, I would appreciate any and all opinions about what the inscription means. thank you for taking the time to read this. Below are two pictures of the binoculars.WWI or WWII binoculars?
    WWI or WWII binoculars?

MAP
    ?

Welcome Armond. I might be best to start a new thread with your questions. They may not get noticed here.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)