Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1892 army reglutaion bugle ?

Article about: Greetings, This is what I believe to be an Army bugle. Not sure if it is originally from 1892. Per web this style of the U.S Regulation imprint on my bugle indicate as such. There are differ

Default 1892 army reglutaion bugle ?

Greetings,

This is what I believe to be an Army bugle. Not sure if it is originally from 1892. Per web this style of the U.S Regulation imprint on my bugle indicate as such. There are different forms of this imprint for later models. I really couldn't find a satisfactory answer to this imprint on bugles. It has Japan printed on the mouth piece intake.

1892 army reglutaion bugle ?1892 army reglutaion bugle ?1892 army reglutaion bugle ?1892 army reglutaion bugle ?1892 army reglutaion bugle ?1892 army reglutaion bugle ?1892 army reglutaion bugle ?

Looks like a repro, to me. I seriously doubt that the US was buying equipment from Japan at the turn of the century.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Thank you Wagriff, I don't think it is a replica and not because I don't want it to be. I believe it's the real deal. America was involved with Japan at the turn of the Century immensely. Looking at the studies I found this style "U.S Regulation" imprint is from the turn of the century. Bugles were made in Foreign countries and imported to the States. U.S Regulation only indicates it to be made for American standard from the 1892 model. In the American - Spanish war you find the same imprint "U.S Regulation" on these bugles (except for Japan printed on the mouth piece intake). I'm just trying to figure out why I have Japan on the mouth piece intake and not "made in Japan" as you would find on modern replicas. Mine is not a cheap replica and the mouth piece cannot be removed.

It looks to have some age to it, but the question is when was the US REGULATION mark put on it, when it was new, or more recently? Better close ups of the marks might help decide when they were done.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Yes, I agree, that is a possibility that one has to put in consideration. I will try to get a better close up of the imprints.

This is a civilian bugle made in Japan, as military-issue bugles won't be marked "US Regulation"...I suggest checking out tapsbugler.com...it explains that the 1892 model was produced worldwide by over 70 manufacturers...
    cheers, Glenn

- - ------- - -

Greetings Glenn, Thank you. This topic is becoming more interesting than I first assumed. I went to the suggested site you gave me. I found this to be interesting and I can see were you are going with this and it seams you are right. I never did declare this to be a military bugle. There are many variants of the imprint "US Regulation" but I only found one the same as mine from antiquemystique.com here the link:

vintage old M1892 antique brass army bugle is marked U.S. Regulation turn of the century

The question in mind is for me to try to determine how old my bugle could be. It seams to be an older imprint no further makers mark visible. It could be from the turn of the century made in Japan, I just don't know. Most bugles I find are marked with Rex, Rexcraft, (or others) "US Regulation" with or with out (made in U.S.A). There are to many variants out there. Mine has age, good quality and seams to have a rarer "US Regulation" imprint. Yes it could have been used by the Boy Scouts or any. It does seam though that the imprint and "Japan" was labeled on my bugle to the time of it's making.

Any further suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards
    Skip

I picked up a near-identical bugle with the mouthpiece marked "France" for $20 a few years ago in Seattle...pity I don't have it anymore!
    Good luck with your research...
    cheers, Glenn

Personally, I believe that the color of the brass and the soldered joints still smack of being a "instant antique" piece from India. It is Extremely reminiscent of their pre-aged brass work "antiques" that they have been putting out for some years now. If it Is, naturally, the stamped markings on it would be irrelevant. Some of the India manufactured brass pieces are Very convincing. It does not look to be a brass instrument that has been polished by hand hundreds of times over it's supposed years of usage. The patina of the inside of the bell is identical with that of the exterior brass, which would not be, in the case of an actual issued bugle. One test would be to ask, have you Tried it? A genuine military style bugle should still blow true and clear-not raucous and discordantly. It is, afterall, a musical instrument and is designed for heavy usage. A modern day antique will blow, but it will sound terrible as it was never actually meant to be played.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

We are a War relics Forum, friend...The thread is titled "1892 Army Regulation Bugle?", and you state "This is what I believe to be an Army Bugle"...We have been able to ascertain that it is actually a civilian bugle, then we read "I never declared this a military bugle"...
    Good luck with your research...
    cheers, Glenn

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast