Become our sponsor and display your banner here

1919 Pattern Rucksack

Article about: I am very pleased to have finally added one of these packs to my collection. It's a little the worse for wear- I need to replace the top blanket roll strap and one of the straps securing the

Default 1919 Pattern Rucksack

I am very pleased to have finally added one of these packs to my collection. It's a little the worse for wear- I need to replace the top blanket roll strap and one of the straps securing the front flap. (I think a post war webbing OS waterbottle carrier might do the trick as its cheap and the right thickness of webbing straps to cut up). Its dated 1921 and is a MECo made example:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image49.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	223.9 KB 
ID:	839014Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image51.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	229.8 KB 
ID:	839016Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image50.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	220.8 KB 
ID:	839015Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image60.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	220.1 KB 
ID:	839017

Ed

?

Great early pack Warspite! They are rare in any condition! I have two questions, are the buckles gated and are the fittings stamped 'MECO'?

I'll have a loom for you tonight. In the meantime this photo was published on Facebook today that you might like...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	137.7 KB 
ID:	839405

?

Great photo! I'll have to add it to the RN webbing thread... Do you have the details?

A loom? I hope it's capable of reduction and integral weaving...

Apparently it's RN Coast watch from about 1940. Note the helmet visor...would love to put this together, but could never afford the Lewis or visor!

I've had a look at the rucksack and the only markings I can find on the fittings for the L-straps, where there is a patent number, a /|\ and 'N' stamp:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	227.6 KB 
ID:	839598

?

Thanks for the close-up shot Ed! According to Karkee Web, the earliest production (circa 1920) packs and haversacks had open bar Twigg buckles. Obviously these were switched to closed bar buckles by 1921!

My pack has no markings left on the inside (except the Naval property stamp), yet the brass tip on every strap is marked "MECē 1924"...

The two 2" buckles for the L-straps at the shoulders are open bar buckles, sorry forgot that part!

?

Quote by Warspite View Post
    The two 2" buckles for the L-straps at the shoulders are open bar buckles, sorry forgot that part!
    True, but I was referring more to the 1" and 3/4" buckles.

?

I love how navy webbing has the 'N' and Broad Arrow stamped into the brass fittings! So cool!