Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1950's USAF fire extinguisher

Article about: Howdy y'all, I found this last Saturday, I saw it said USAF and thought that it as a pretty cool item. One is stamped with a "S" on the brass fitting and the other is not. From wha

Default 1950's USAF fire extinguisher

Howdy y'all, I found this last Saturday, I saw it said USAF and thought that it as a pretty cool item. One is stamped with a "S" on the brass fitting and the other is not. From what I have found it appears to me made sometime in the 1950's. The person I got it from used to refill fire extinguisher's. Both still have some kind of hellish liquid in them, although only one can still squirt out the liquid. I use the term ""hellish" Because the one that works accidently went off on me. I can say from experience that it burns, (but does not scar your skin), makes your nose and eyes water and makes you keep coughing for a long time. But one pro is it makes for one heck of a ant spry. I just though that it looked pretty cool.

From Alex.

Default Re: 1950's USAF fire extinguisher

Please be careful as these old extinguishers can contain some pretty nasty chemicals! interesting item though!..
    Halon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thank you for your response, yes I now know that they are not full of water. I thought that they both looked cool.

From Alex

Thank you for the link. It would appear ether both have or used to have Bromochloromethane. This stuff appears to be very cheery! Bromochloromethane - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yep VERY nasty stuff indeed!..

Just got the heebie jeebies reading about this stuff.

From Alex

bromochloromethane - PubChem
    I know we are not a health and safety forum, but any chance of a "sticky" somewhere to warn people about messing with this stuff?..

You have a really good point. I had no idea what was in it, nor was I purposely messing with it. If would be wise to start a thread with stuff people have found toxins in. Simply to warn others about what it is.

From Alex

Quote by shortbuss55 View Post
    You have a really good point. I had no idea what was in it, nor was I purposely messing with it. If would be wise to start a thread with stuff people have found toxins in. Simply to warn others about what it is.

From Alex
    I'm sorry i didn't mean to imply you were fooling around with it!...

Wow, I wasnt aware of this, I had an extinguisher in my collection for a little while just like it and traded it off with no idea.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast