Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

2 gallon can Mite Repellent

Article about: This is the first one of these I have seen. It is dated April 1944 and has a red F painted on top. A search on the internet revealed another which had been sold with a story about the concen

Default 2 gallon can Mite Repellent

This is the first one of these I have seen. It is dated April 1945 and has a red F painted on top.

A search on the internet revealed another which had been sold with a story about the concentration camps which could make sense but I would guess this was being used more commonly than that.

Does anyone have any information ? Would it of been used in the jungle ?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 2 gallon can Mite Repellent   2 gallon can Mite Repellent  

I would say jungle issue or maybe for delousing clothing at a field wash house? Great can though...

?

Damned if I know.
    1st one I have ever seen.

Here is a US link Precautions Against Scrub Typhus, WWII Tactical and Technical Trends, No. 47, June 1, 1944 (Lone Sentry)

I had never heard the term 'Chigger' before but as always I am learning a lot.

CBH
    ?

I pick up a similar one used for Water , I've heard them called "Flimsies" before and you can see why when you think these were also used for fuel ,when compared to the German "Jerry Can" .
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 2 gallon can Mite Repellent   2 gallon can Mite Repellent  

Thanks for the Pic Chris, Its not so much the can that is new it was the 'Mite repellent' stencilled on the side. I have a couple of Canadian cans but not a water can yet. I live on the edge of one of the former Canadian training grounds in the uk so its always nice to find some Canadian bits and pieces.

These cans were the standard 2 Gallon but the real Flimsies were the 4 Gallon single use cans below. As you say the Jerrycan is far superior.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 2 gallon can Mite Repellent  

Dear lord, chiggars. That's a common name here for an inperceptable little bug that bites the skin (often around the ankles due to exposed skin around the socks) causing pea sized whelps to form within a day that will keep a person up all night scratching their incessant itching for about two solid days, even until they bleed from all the scratching. Here in SW Missouri, a walk in the deep woods or tall grass of a field in July or August can net you dozens of these little bites. Here they don't carry disease that I know of, but the itching alone would be enough to make something like jungle combat even more hellish.

I will say this for chiggars, there is no more satisfying itch to scratch than a chiggar bite. You just don't get much relief from it.

When you absolutely positively have to kill all the insects in the room, accept no substitute!

Its probably pyrethrum

I have had to deal with "mites", of which there are about 50,000 sub species and other related insects that were effecting ornamental plants and some small gardens. I have done a great deal of landscaping pest control.

It can kill mites, spiders and many other creepy crawlies.

It can me used up and in some cases over 10% mixed with water to help control insects, human delousing, lower for use on pets ect.

This can was probably near 100% concentrate and you don't want to get involved with it.

This is a really good multi purpose multi species annihilator.

Not only is this effective but post war it made its way into nearly every pesticide available to the general public

humans want to spray the pest and see it die instantly- the old "crawls into the wall and kills the nest" business just doesn't fly for most average citizens

It paralyzes most insects in seconds, its in most sprays, foggers ect not to kill but acts solely as the Paralyzer. After paralyzer the other active ingredients perform the killing.