Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

.303 Bandolier Markings

Article about: Hi Guys, I've been trying to decipher all of the markings on my Enfield bandoliers and I was wondering if I got it all correct. Thanks for your help!

?

Default .303 Bandolier Markings

Hi Guys,

I've been trying to decipher all of the markings on my Enfield bandoliers and I was wondering if I got it all correct. Thanks for your help!

.303 Bandolier Markings

.303 Bandolier Markings

It looks pretty much correct to me. The only thing I would say is that all military small arms ammo should be full metal jacket. This simply means that the projectile is completely covered with the copper "jacket" except for the very back end. The designation "Ball" refers to the fact that this is a simple "bullet" and not tracer or AP etc. For example the expression "four bit" (4B1T) used to describe belted rounds for MGs refers to the ratio of four ball rounds to one tracer round! That horrifying concept that for every tracer round you can see there are four more that you can't between it and the next one

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the response!

So 'BALL' refers to general use ball rounds, rather than tracer, armour-piercing, incendiary, dummy, etc.?

Quote by karkee View Post
    Hi Mark,

Thanks for the response!

So 'BALL' refers to general use ball rounds, rather than tracer, armour-piercing, incendiary, dummy, etc.?
    Exactly right, it's a fairly archaic word originating from "musket ball" but I doubt there is a more accurate term.

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."