Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

37 Signals Bag- post war?

Article about: One 1937 pattern signals bag with stainless steel fittings. Can't read a date- it is pretty grubby. I'm pretty sure it's post war, but can anyone confirm this and tell me why it has steel fi

ILH
    ?

Default 37 Signals Bag- post war?

One 1937 pattern signals bag with stainless steel fittings. Can't read a date- it is pretty grubby.

I'm pretty sure it's post war, but can anyone confirm this and tell me why it has steel fittings?

cheers,
    jim.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 37 Signals Bag- post war?  

?

Default Re: 37 Signals Bag- post war?

A UV or black light is the best way to read faded ink stamps, again if an issue items it will have some manufacturers name and inspectors mark somewhere even if faded to the naked eye.

Nige.

P.S. the design looks the same as the P 1937 officers haversack so it could well be a wartime item, plus most (post 1950's) webbing items have blackened metal hardware instead of brass, this went back to brass on some items in the late 1960's.
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "

ILH
    ?

Hi Nige,

Thanks for the UV tip, saw something somewhere else about night vision eqpt being good- even on Sony videocameras!

It's definatly the signals satchel (got an meco 43 one)- its padded inside and has no other attachments apart from the strap loops on the sides- officers haversack has buckles here, a carry handle on top and a pair of flat pockets above the front buckle (should have one of them en'all, but it's gone walkabout- not permantly I hope!)

The stainless steel is wierd though... bugs me.
    jim.

?

The other thing Jim, is the bag could be a European postwar copy. However its hard to tell from the picture. Most Dutch items are made in a mid olive green shade somewhere between O.D.3 and O.D7 U.S. olive drab shade, most Belgian gear is khaki in colour and has a similar look to it as wartime Indian production P37 webbing (various different shades in the weave of the webbing due to poor batch colour matching of thread), with some latter items also being made in a darker more olive green colour as per the Dutch items. But the oblong loops look very similar to those used on the Mk2 Sten sling and these came in a verity of finishes including, sheradised, hot blackened, painted and a stainless or hard chrome type finish.

Nige.
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "