Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

.303 rifle ammo bandoleers

Article about: To straighten out a misconception, the "MG" in the printed section of the bandolier is for the Footscray Ammunition Factory No.2 which came into being in 1940 and this identifier w

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi, thanks for the comments. Sorry I don't know the answer to your question.

Cheers, Ade.
    I am very familiar with these items having received ammunition in them during the '70s in the ACF and also 7.62mm rounds for the SLR and GPMG during my regular Army service. I can explain why they are now rare which is because these were really just packaging and in most cases they were just burnt or binned along with the wooden boxes which unlike the steel ones were not accountable and returned through the stores accounting system.

As for the MG mark I believe this indicates one of the small arms factories in Melbourne, Australia. Number 2 maybe?

I also seem to recall as a matter of interest that the Mk VII round differed from ealier types in that it was "tail heavy" due to an aluminium piece in the nose which although it was stable in flight (effects of the rifling induced spin) it tended to tumble on impact increasing the wound balistics. Not very nice but not illegal due to the full metal jacket and the fact that it did not fall into the category of a frangible missile (expanding or dumdum)

I hope this helps

Regards

Mark
    Edit; Oops should have read the whole thread! Seems I have repeated the comments of others, sorry!
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

very nice ade can i ask if the boer war bandoleers were of a similar pattern to the latter?

Hi James, sorry, idea on that one? It is an area I have never studied.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

thanks for your honesty ade i havent a clue either

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6