Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

5L Jerry can ww2

Article about: Last sunday i bought this jerry can from the flea market it's dated 1943 The only problem is that it still has some fuel remaining and i cant put it in my collection because it smells do you

Default 5L Jerry can ww2

Last sunday i bought this jerry can from the flea market
    it's dated 1943
    The only problem is that it still has some fuel remaining and i cant put it in my collection because it smells
    do you have any idea of how i can clean it ? i think the rust is soaked with fuel 5L Jerry can ww25L Jerry can ww25L Jerry can ww25L Jerry can ww2

also what is this tag for?

?

Quote by GreekMilitaria View Post
    The only problem is that it still has some fuel remaining and i cant put it in my collection because it smells do you have any idea of how i can clean it ? i think the rust is soaked with fuel
    When I have cleaned motorcycle fuel tanks before welding repairs I've rinsed them through with lots of hot water with a detergent, such as washing up liquid. You'll have to do it many, many times and still it will probably smell a bit.

Regards,

Philip

Hi,
    I would empty the remaining fuel and dispose of it properly, not just pouring down a drain or similar. It looks as if it possibly has a leak in the bommom, maybe only minor but its strange to see the fuel around the body of the can like that. If you have somewhere outside undercover, maybe leave it outside for a few months with the cap off and this will hlp the smell to ease and the can to dry out. Maybe not how others would do it but its worked for me in the past.
    D

it is just water on the outside because it was raining like hell today and i had it in the balkony
    thanks for your help though

Thats great, it will make it easier to sort out then. Once empty of fuel it should dry out ok and then with a bit of time the odor should fade away.
    D

do you know what this tag that is hanging from the cap is for?

Unfortunately not, I was hoping someone would have known and posted a reply for you by now.
    All the best,
    D

Nice USA NESCO ( National Enamel and Stamping Company ) can!

A couple of other things I can add....

1) the 20-5.25-43 means 20 ( litres ) 5.25 Gallons ( or sometimes 5 which is less accurate ) and then the year made. ( many think it is the date )

2) The ICC-5L stamped on the base of ALL US fuel cans is NOT a manufacturer but stood for 'Interstate Commerce Commission' and the category '5L'. The ICC ( dissolved in 1995 ) regulated transport by road and rail in the USA and was established in 1887 to establish uniform shipping rates across all states where goods were transported. As far as can be deduced, category 5L applied to containerized goods. The US Department of Transport ( DOT ) took over and companies today need an issued 'DOT Number' for certain types of containers.

3) the tag is not normally found and may be a stock ID tag ( for a company or fuel depot to make sure they controlled what cans were theirs..... )

Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Thank you for all those information i really appreciate it!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast