Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

About British torch(flashlight)

Article about: I've been looking around online and find a lot of different types, but this one keeps popping up, and the info provided is always a little different. Is this ww2? The sites I've found it on

Default About British torch(flashlight)

I've been looking around online and find a lot of different types, but this one keeps popping up, and the info provided is always a little different. Is this ww2? The sites I've found it on say it was used by troops in the field, others say by police. The seller says this is NOS, and looks good in the pics. Only $25.00 Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time and knowledge.

About British torch(flashlight)About British torch(flashlight)About British torch(flashlight)About British torch(flashlight)About British torch(flashlight)

Default Re: About British torch(flashlight)

also seen these sold as bicycle lamps. Broadarrow stamped so that should mean it is military issue.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

NCA
    ?

I have a picture of a British soldier in the Korean war and in the foreground on top a radio set you can see this type.
    As far as i know it was used during WW2 as well.

The broad arrow is a mark used to denote Government issue.I have a lamp used by Postmen with the broad arrow on. (GPO)

AIF
    ?

I'm not sure about the British but over here in Australia these were used on the home front by wardens ect... And weren't actual military issue although they do carry a broad arrow. There was also a different military issued version as well which didn't have the filters fitted in the front lens and It was stamped on the back with army markings.

If you are interested in seeing I can dig mine out and post some pics.

Cheers Luke.

This bit of info is courtesy of the Museum of Technology:

WWII LUCAS LAMP ELECTRIC No1, 1941

Looking like a cycle lamp but with a belt clip on the rear, marked Lamps Electric No1 Joseph Lucas Birmingham England 1941.It has a hood to prevent the light spreading and causing unwanted attention, and the small knob in the centre of the lens allows a neutral density filter to be selected over the remaining half of the glass

Bruce Hammond Collection

Your comments:
    •These were used in my regiment (1st Bn Duke of Edinburgh's Royal Reg t)in the '60s, attached to trip flare picket stakes to mark mine-tape lanes and start lines for battalion night attacks usually with the red gel sector swung into place and pointed away from the enemy, we had quite a few of them. But they were also plentiful amongst schoolboys in the '50s so they must have been made in their thousands.
    .......... Bob Lee, Elstead,Surrey, 15th of November 2010

•This is not a cycle lamp. The design was taken from lamps for bicycles, but modified by having a straight 'clip' on the rear, for fitting over a belt or into a pocket
    .......... Dave Wallis, Burnham on Crouch, Essex, 2nd of May 2010

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thank you for all the replies fellas. The model seems to be from around the era at least, but it makes it harder to pinpoint a date. I like flashlights so I think I'll get one so I can take a closer look. It'll look good with my Swedish and Finnish "cigarette pack" style lights, and I like the looks of it too hehe I'll have to take some close ups when I get it and show you. Thanks again

Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Large quantities of these obviously survived to be surplussed as I cannot remember a time when they were not freely available for very little. Quite how much service they saw is questionable.

The service history of the copy of the german torch would also be interesting to know.

I have the issue rear bycycle lamp somewhere which is rare to find now.

Here's my Lamp Electric No. 1 made by what looks like ER Co. LTD. It has a green resin filter and a yellow resin filter still inside.

About British torch(flashlight)About British torch(flashlight)About British torch(flashlight)About British torch(flashlight)About British torch(flashlight)

Thanks Ade, I like that even though they are that old, most that I've found are still in pretty nice condition. I'm sure this happens when things are made in large numbers, but they're always nice to find that way. That's an interesting looking light, I've never seen one like that before. I don't know why, but I've always liked flashlights, this could become a new avenue in collecting lol I'm gonna need a bigger house!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast