Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

American Dog Tag

Article about: Hello folks. I purchased some stuff from a fellow forum member recently, and included in the box was a small collection of random items. This was one of them, and I'm not really sure where t

Default American Dog Tag

Hello folks.

I purchased some stuff from a fellow forum member recently, and included in the box was a small collection of random items. This was one of them, and I'm not really sure where to begin with it. A WWII-era U.S. dog tag, named to a Milton V. Strunk, of Helena, Montana. SN. 37027694

American Dog Tag

This is a first for me. Are there any methods or resources for researching these, or are the relevant records locked away from the general public? Any help in that regard would be very much appreciated.

Regards, B.B.

Here' a link on the dog tags themselves

Dog Tags

And a link to find basic info on the person, not all records exist as a lot were destroyed in a fire

NARA - AAD - List of Series - Wars/ International Relations: World War II

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    Here' a link on the dog tags themselves

Dog Tags
    Thanks for the link! I'm sure it'll prove useful.

Regards, B.B.

EDIT: From the link provided, I have discovered that he was a draftee (as indicated by the '3' service number prefix) and that the tag dates to before 20th July 1943, when the next of kin address was eliminated. Thanks, René!

MAP
    ?

It's a shame he is not listed in the NARA database
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I can’t find any WW2 records for him but his mothers name is correct on his tag.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture American Dog Tag   American Dog Tag  

Fortune favors the brave 644th td

You can also see from this tag that he was drsfted from the 7th Corps Area of the US. The 7th Corsp was based at Omaha Army Depot & Fort Crook in Omaha, Nebraska. The Corps area also included Arkansas, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, North Dakota, South Dakota, Iowa and Nebraska.