Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Anyone Seen Fake Trench Art Like This?

Article about: Hi all. I just thought I would post this piece as I have not seen another piece like it. I think it may possibly be a one- off attempt by someone with a few tools. I bought it cheap for the

Default Anyone Seen Fake Trench Art Like This?

Hi all. I just thought I would post this piece as I have not seen another piece like it. I think it may possibly be a one- off attempt by someone with a few tools. I bought it cheap for the case itself (although I think it has been cut down). It is a 1943 date 17pdr shell case with the stamping "HMS AJAXS BATTLE OF RIVERPLATE". Clearly there is a discrepancy with the date as the Battle of the River Plate occurred in 1939. Also, the 17pdr was not a naval gun, rather an Anti- Tank weapon. Finally whoever knocked this out spelled AJAX wrong. You would have thought that if this was genuine then the person who made it would have had some pride in their ship's name?

I am puzzled as to why anyone would have made this. I purchased it from an old lady for cheap so from her perspective not much monetary gain involved, also, if one were to fake a piece of trench art, then one would surely make it more elaborate or at least stamp the main body of the case and not make a small obscure mark on the bottom?

Just wanted to bring this piece to your attention and look forward to your comments. Cheers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Anyone Seen Fake Trench Art Like This?   Anyone Seen Fake Trench Art Like This?  

Anyone Seen Fake Trench Art Like This?  

If it Can be faked...Somewhere some thief will attempt it. Quite likely, in This idiot's case, they may have realized their ridiculous error and unloaded it on some unknowing old woman just to get rid of it...Probably traded her something for it, while assuring her that it was "worth much much more" and she could Easily sell it...

Personally, I think that I would take a small punch and peen the ludicrous inscription out, so that somebody down the road wouldn't think that either I did it or believed it was good...lol

If it was a Naval Shell, a person could at Least pretend that it came from the ship that was Involved in the River Plate battle, but in this case, you can't even do That!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I think Ajax was present at the Battle....... to give the faker undeserved credit

Absolutely-the cruiser Ajax was, indeed, there and got the hell knocked out of her by the Graf Spee, but heroically endured and was eventually there to see the Spee scuttle herself. In fact, it was the Ajax that returned a few years later and brought the Spee's crew back to Europe.

I guess the moron who punched in the inscription thought that all cannon shells look alike and no one would know it wasn't from a war ship. And, in a flash of wisdom, he apparently forgot to look up the actual Date of the battle and compare it with the casing he had in his hand. lol
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I like your idea about striking the offending inscription out with a small punch. Might keep the case though as cases this size make good helmet stands lol

A shame some feckwit decided to pimp this case and did such a bad job of it. It could be a fairly early example as the 17 pdr was only introduced in 1943.

I hope you can remove it without too much damage.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Or maybe I could leave it as it is and the mods could use a photo of the base as one of those questions you sometimes get asked before joining a forum? "Whats wrong with this shell case" sort of thing