Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Australian Pattern 1937 Webbing Set in Pictures

Article about: Australia’s domestic webbing production was slow to get underway during the Second World War. The country was able to procure webbing from England, and later Canada, for its forces serving i

?

It's a pouch Mk2 for the "Foresight, Bar, Deflection, Mk1", for the .303 Vickers MMG...

Some excellent gear - Thanks for sharing!

?

Here's some more early Australian webbing...

A 1942 dated small pack.

This pack was made by Michaelis, Hallenstein & Company Party, Limited of Melbourne and lacks a D↑D ownership mark, but features a classic Australian inspection mark in purple ink with a 'W' letter code.

This early pack still has the internal dividers for the waterbottle and mess tin.

An Australian-made Pistol Case, Brace Adapters and late production Entrenching Tool Carrier (with cloth trim similar to Canadian-produced carriers).

These pieces were all made by Ruskin Motor Bodies Party, Limited of Melbourne

Here is a photo of the Ruskin factory producing webbing during the war.

Given that I have seen Pistol Cases, Binocular Cases, and Brace Adapters all made by Ruskin in 1942, it wouldn't surprise me if Ruskin Motor Bodies didn't attempt to produce the full range of Pattern 1937 Officers' Accoutrements in 1942.

René - now you understand why I wanted to get your RMB bino case so bad (so I could complete the set)! lol

Outstanding Michael! love the ads and the factory photo, really nice research.

?

This looks like an Aussie large pack to me but has what appears to be the Indian acceptance mark (broad arrow above I).

Could it be Australian made and supplied to India?

Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Australian Pattern 1937 Webbing Set in Pictures   Australian Pattern 1937 Webbing Set in Pictures  

K.E.F is an Indian manufacturer.

?

René is correct, it is an Indian-made large pack (though the striping of the webbing is very similar). I haven't been able to decipher this maker yet, but the 'E.F.' must stand for 'Equipment Factory'...
    Last edited by karkee; 06-21-2016 at 06:09 AM.

?

Thanks!

If that pack wasn't marked with the I and arrow I'd have sworn it was Australian made.

AIF
    ?

Fantastic set up as usual mate! You have done well to assemble such a nice set in such a short period of time!

I am very envious of your brace attachments as well I can honestly say that in 20+ years of collecting I have never seen an Australian made set before!

Cheers
    Luke.

AIF
    ?

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    And here's what I believe to be the Australian made belt, but I stand to be corrected.
    Only one I've seen before and of this construction.
    Rene, regarding the belt you posted I belive it to be an early British made example which was manufactured this way either as an economy measure or more likely/possibly due to it being made by a smaller firm who did not have the machinery or tooling to weave belts with the loops/pockets in them. I have seen several different examples over the years made by different manufacturers in this way. If you check the karkee web website they show an example made by Mattinson Bros in 1943.

Here is a picture of one from my collection manufactured by J&AH (J&A HILLMAN) in 1941.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Australian Pattern 1937 Webbing Set in Pictures   Australian Pattern 1937 Webbing Set in Pictures  

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast