Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Australian Pattern 1937 Webbing Set in Pictures

Article about: Australia’s domestic webbing production was slow to get underway during the Second World War. The country was able to procure webbing from England, and later Canada, for its forces serving i

AIF
    ?

And here is another from a dealers website this time being manufatured by Bagcraft also in 1941.

Seeing as your guy had an early enlistment date, I would say it was issued to him while in the Western desert campaign and he retained it throughout the war.

Cheers
    Luke
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Australian Pattern 1937 Webbing Set in Pictures   Australian Pattern 1937 Webbing Set in Pictures  

Australian Pattern 1937 Webbing Set in Pictures  

?

My God, Luke has returned to us at last! Where have you been my friend? and have you discovered any new militaria while wandering through this terra incognita?

Quote by AIF View Post
    And here is another from a dealers website this time being manufatured by Bagcraft also in 1941.

Seeing as your guy had an early enlistment date, I would say it was issued to him while in the Western desert campaign and he retained it throughout the war.

Cheers
    Luke
    Cheers Buddy, you are a great help and it has been awhile Mate!

Found a bunch of GMH & RMB Ltd basic pouches this morning figured to post them here
    Never seen the inspectors stamp on the front before!
    They all have the early Neweys button snaps
    Last edited by reneblacky; 02-13-2020 at 10:55 PM.

?

Nice pouches René! Those lazy inspectors, couldn't be bothered to stamp the back/inside of the pouches! lol

It appears that some of those GMH pouches have 1 inch closure straps, rather than the standard 3/4" closure straps. This must have been a direct copy of Canadian pouches, which made the same change in 1942. I wonder if the larger jungle pouches had 1" or 3/4" straps...

Cheers Michael I didn't notice the width difference until you pointed it out! (literally just took them out of the bag) I'm thinking it's not a change in pattern but utilization of materials at hand? I only have one pair of jungle pouches and will take a look when I can find them.
    Last edited by reneblacky; 07-10-2016 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Whoops spelling

Couldn't quickly find the jungle pouches (I think I have a pair? deffiantly have one though- also used as a single with the standard pouch) but did find the braces. And while I'm here, here's a shot of a factory bolt of AF made braces
    Last edited by reneblacky; 02-13-2020 at 10:59 PM.

The hand written numbers on the jungle strap, to me looks to be from the roll of material?

?

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    The hand written numbers on the jungle strap, to me looks to be from the roll of material?
    Yes, it looks as though it was written on the webbing stock prior to manufacture, since it appears to be covered by stitching at the end...

Quote by karkee View Post
    Nice pouches René! Those lazy inspectors, couldn't be bothered to stamp the back/inside of the pouches! lol

It appears that some of those GMH pouches have 1 inch closure straps, rather than the standard 3/4" closure straps. This must have been a direct copy of Canadian pouches, which made the same change in 1942. I wonder if the larger jungle pouches had 1" or 3/4" straps...
    To illustrate what I mean by materials at hand, here are three GMH examples that are surely from the same production batch with different closure widths

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast