Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Australian plates

Article about: I have in my collection these two old enamel plates and was wondering of they could be ex army? With the original hanging holes I can just see these being used at a training camp. Thoughts?

?

Default Australian plates

I have in my collection these two old enamel plates and was wondering of they could be ex army? With the original hanging holes I can just see these being used at a training camp. Thoughts?
    I have included my army enamel mug for comparison as well as some D^D stamped cutlery.

Australian plates

Australian plates

Oz.

?

And here are some porcelain plates KC and QC.

Australian plates

Oz.

?

No idea about the plates, but that cutlery and mug is a pleasure to see!

India marked their enamel plates, not sure about other countries. This photo of tank crew in Burma is interesting for showing enamel plates in the bottom right corner:
    Australian plates

?

I like the British camp cot and wash basin in the background!

Personally, I doubt that they are military. As your mug shows, they did,indeed, mark their pieces, so I would expect to see, at least Some kind of markings on the plates. Enamel plates and cups were quite popular in the early half of the 1900's and can be found everywhere from in homes to camping sets.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Warspite, great pic of the tank crew. I couldn't seem to open the Indian plate pic though?

Wagriff, you could be right although I have seen enamel mugs where the D^D has worn right off leaving no more than the slightest dull reflection to ever show that it was ex Army. Then again, I have not found any marked D^D plates anyway, so I will consider these "very doubtful" until any evidence turns up. Have any Aussies seen any D^D enamel plates?

Another question: What is the earliest that the Rising Sun was stamped onto mess cutlery?

I forgot to mention in the first post; feel free to add pics of plates, mugs and cutlery here.

Oz.

Love the enamel ware ,
    I don't recall ever seeing the D^D mark on a plate before ,

Here is my D^D marked Tea Pot with 2 mugs ,
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Australian plates   Australian plates  

?

Lovely group there Australia. The teapot is one I will have to watch out for.

Oz.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast