Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

bc-611 I need help!!!!!! what is this....

Article about: when i got this the green cone deal was screwed onto there the little glass protector is or whatever it is, where that thing is screwed in now, is just a base where you can hold it. So im th

?

Default Re: bc-611 I need help!!!!!! what is this....

This is my first time looking at this radio. I work on and repair radio's were I am employed(Air traffic control maintenance,Radio's ,Radar navigational equipment) Electronics is my career. I have worked in this field for the past 34 years. Both with Ground and Aircraft equipment.
    I was just looking at the schematic and the thing I thought was the Crystal ("battery holder")is the antenna inductor (L1) In the schematic picture.http://www.vk2bv.org/museum/k-files/bc611.gif on the left side of pic!!!!
    The other wires might be from the On/Off switch. I read also, and so did you that it turns on when the antenna was pulled out. Since somebody modified that radio, they must have disconnected those wire. This is just a guess I would need to follow those wire to where they go and then look at the schematic to tell you for sure.

Well it's Midnight Here!! I am going to finish my drink and hit the sack!!! If you have anymore questions , I will answer them tomorrow. Its my day off. So I'll talk to ya later!!!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Oh one more thing you asked about the antenna, You need to have some sort of antenna. You could damage the transmitter section of it with out the proper load to the circuit. You will over drive the amplifiers and burn them up!!!
    Take Care
    Semper Fi
    Phil

my uncle did what you did and retired a few years ago, he woked out of portland oregon, and washington dc a lot, his name is John potts, i dont know if that rings a bell, anyways I really do thank you for your help on this matter trying to figure this out, tommarrow ill take a picture of where it goes. It must be a post war job or something, im not to sure. I think those wires ran down to the circut pannel, where the mic and stuff hooks into, close to the battery terminals. Ill take a picture tommarrow . I wonder if I could find a telescopping antenna for it. anyways chat with you soon

?

Good Morning Odessa1!!!!
    I have those type's of connectors at work. They are still used on some modern equipment for UHF communications(Radio's)They are also still used by many people that are Amateur Radio enthusiast.They are called HAM Radio operators and at times during the year the have a HAMFEST and they all gather in several buildings and try to reach out and contact other HAM'ster from around the globe. When you talk about antenna's they are made to certain length to handle the "wave length" of the frequency . That is why it says this radio had a 40'' antenna. The only thing I see that might keep you from using this is that the "B" battery in the WIKI description say's that it is a 103 volt battery. You would have to do some searching for this type of battery. If you see in your area that they are holding a Amateur Radio contest or a HAMFEST. That would be your best chance at finding these part. There will be people there that collect and have stock piles of the older equipment that they sell to help the other gent who use the older stuff. They like tube radio's. It gives a better quality of signals than the newer digital equipment. They do not even teach tube theory any more to the younger technicians, So you need to talk with a more experienced(Dinosaur) electronics tech (LIKE ME)to get an good understanding of what is being used in that radio.
    It sounds like your Uncle was FAA from where he worked, I am on the Military side of that house. So unless he was worked at a Marine Corps base. The name would not ring a bell. Where I work(MCAS YUMA) we handle both civilian and military flights on this airfield,We also work with the FAA. So I get the best of both worlds!!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

In this schematic on the right side of the page they show a picture of the radio and on the bottom of that they show the ON/OFF switch is located at the bottom of where the antenna connected and its near where those wire come from. That is why I was thinking they were disconnected when the antenna was modified, but like i mentioned I would need to look and check with a multimeter to say that for sure.
    http://www.vk2bv.org/museum/k-files/bc611.gif

Take Care
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Yes my uncle worked for the faa so yes i dont think your paths has crossed since he wasnt in the military part of that world. I found this Army Radio Sales Co. looks like I can make one , or try too. There is a guy that I bought from in Italy was a psu unit that plugs int oa 10a v battery which worked on my bc-1000 i have working now. Iv bin looking for a uhf connection antenna with a teloscopping antenna. Ill look for a 40 "one. I would like to see if this works I guess it depends on the connections and the speaker ect.. Ill see if they have those amature places around here but I doubt it. The key thing is looking for another one of these with the same frequency unless I find a radio that has a transmitter that can match this unit. I really do thank you for all your wealth of knowledge. Oh the guy does make them Power Supply Unit for 611 Radio Military WWII | eBay this is the same guy I bought that psu from for my bc-1000

?

That is great, Those battery setups will work!!! Thats cool that there are people still out there wanting to get these old walkie talkie's working. They would be great to use in any reenactment activities.
    It was no problem helping you out.My pleasure! it was really nice to get to see one of these and check out the circuits they used!!!!!
    Good luck!!!!
    If you run into any more problems and need some help. Feel free to drop me a PM!!!
    Take Care
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123