Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

BEF (British Expeditionary Force) MkIV Respirator

Article about: Here's an example dated 1941 which I can only presume has had the early hose and filter box added to this later mask version,Danny how did you find the info to prove this type with the EA fi

Here's an example dated 1941 which I can only presume has had the early hose and filter box added to this later mask version,Danny how did you find the info to prove this type with the EA filter were only issued to the BEF when there were as many produced in 1937/38 without the EA filter and I would not have thought that the MOD would differate between the two and subsequently both types would have been issued regardless of the extra EA filter was in place or not................Jake.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture BEF (British Expeditionary Force) MkIV Respirator  
    Last edited by ruddersrangers44; 08-12-2013 at 08:01 AM.

Jake, the few times that I have seen these respirators for sale, or being shown by someone they have almost always been described as something used by the BEF hence why I believe that they were primarily issued to those who were involved in the front line fighting, it would certainly explain why more often than not, those that do come up for sale are from sellers in France.

The later MkV was also used alongside the MkIV as shown in this thread: https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/battl...adio-bef-6587/

So, based on the fact that other masks were used as shown in the link above, its quite likely that standard MkIV's were also issued alongside the version fitted with the EA filter. However I still believe that the upgraded EA filter masks were intended for use by the guys at the very tip of the spear as they could provide additional protection if an attack involving chemical weapons were to happen.

Thanks

Danny

Just picked up this Dunkirk book today and they say the camera never lies Danny well here's your mask being carried by a member of the BEF in belgium................Jake.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture BEF (British Expeditionary Force) MkIV Respirator  

That's awesome Jake, cheers for sharing this image, its the first period photograph of this mask in use that I've seen Very well spotted!

Thanks

Danny

I knew you would luv it DannyI nearly spilt me tea when I saw the pic,great book too............Jake.

What's the title of the book, I might have to pick it up sometime

And just a little correction I need to make...

Quote by GasMasksUK View Post
    Comparison photographs of the early (left) and late (right) MkIV respirator components
    I got my left and right mixed up, the later components are on the left and the early ones are on the right

Thanks

Danny

the title is "we remember Dunkirk" it was one of four in the series back in 1983 and all proceeds went to the RBL and could only be purchased through the authors and was not sold on shelves,others were the Blitz,Homeguard,the Battle of Britain,dont know if there rare or not I found it in Oxfam,great pics all from the IWM and over 100 stories as told by the one's that were there,best of luck in finding one Danny................Jake.

I'll be keeping an eye out on ebay and charity shops then!

Thanks

Danny

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2