Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Blue on Green Color British Canteen

Article about: Hello gents, I once showed you this old canteen in here. And to be honest, this thing is still make me curious. When i inspect it closely, i can find a small blue paint on the center of this

Question Blue on Green Color British Canteen

Hello gents,

I once showed you this old canteen in here. And to be honest, this thing is still make me curious. When i inspect it closely, i can find a small blue paint on the center of this canteen.
    I once read that the Mark VII canteen made in 1939 is in green color and the earlier Mark VI have cobalt blue color.
    Could it be my canteen was once made as Mark VI but instead finished as Mark VII? Or this canteen is like transitional model?

Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by feldgrau33; 01-11-2015 at 11:15 PM.

?

I've seen a lot of green Mk. VII waterbottles with blue traces as well (especially on the inside of the bottle). Perhaps it was some form of primer?

?

I've seen a lot of green Mk. VII waterbottles with blue traces as well (especially on the inside of the bottle). Perhaps it was some form of primer?

I posted an article about Mk VI waterbottles a while back if you have any interest...

Distinguishing Cobalt Blue Mk VI and Mk VII Water-Bottles

Thank you very much! That thread is really helpful!

BTF
    ?

Sorry to post on a fairly old thread, but a though as to why there might be some cobolt on otherwise green canteens is this: Enamel is baked in a kiln. If you've ever done pottery, and glazed something, you'll notice the colour of the glaze is quite different than the colour is turns after firing. Could be that a fleck of cobolt got into the mix? Or dripped onto the water bottles? Then after baking the enamel, you end up with a spot of blue mixed in.