Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Brit Mess Tins 1945

Article about: Guys, Got these today, I remember that the odd war time dated were still being issued in the 80's. They are a pair which I suppose is harder to find as the stores tend to mix and match based

Default Brit Mess Tins 1945

Guys,

Got these today, I remember that the odd war time dated were still being issued in the 80's.

They are a pair which I suppose is harder to find as the stores tend to mix and match based on serviceability?

I like that Hooper has put his name on them? A bit over the top for mess kit?

Jock
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Brit Mess Tins 1945   Brit Mess Tins 1945  

Brit Mess Tins 1945  

?

Default Re: Brit Mess Tins 1945

Hi Jock

You're lucky you got a matched set mate. I just dug one of my old sets out, the large one is dated 1981 and the small one 1971! (Unless I have mixed them up with my other set which is packed away)

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

Nice to see!

The Greek Army is still using these! They are mostly Greek made copies from the 50s-70s, but you can find British made, wartime dated ones, too, now and then! I used to eat from a '45 dated one during maneuvers, a few years back.

I was always wondering if these "MMS" marked, '45 dated examples actually saw any service during ww2 though, or if they were manufactured along with the new canteens intented for issue with the '44 pattern webbing. Does anyone have any info on that?

Regards, Giorgos

Very nice, I have one of the older style 41 dated One marked MB 6-41 the other MB 2-41, so not matching I guess, but same year and manufacturer?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Brit Mess Tins 1945   Brit Mess Tins 1945  

"MB" is the Metal Box Co Ltd.

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks mate!