Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

British 1937 Pattern Web Anklets

Article about: Hi All Latest puchase, a bit dull but fills a missing piece in my little collection, a pair of 1945 dated G.B web anklets, hated by most soldiers, these are a little worn but in good order.

Reg
    ?

Default British 1937 Pattern Web Anklets

Hi All

Latest puchase, a bit dull but fills a missing piece in my little collection, a pair of 1945 dated G.B web anklets, hated by most soldiers, these are a little worn but in good order. Found under a load of C95 webbing in a local army surplus store (that I kick myself every time for not buying a 38 pat telescopic sight case for £5 about ten years ago) £7 the pair pleased me though.

Cheers
    Reg
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British 1937 Pattern Web Anklets   British 1937 Pattern Web Anklets  

Default Re: 38 Pat Web Anklets

Nice price and like all WW2 webbing, the supply is now starting to dry up.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Our army used buttons on the WW2 pattern but when I was in the school cadets the anklets were similar to the above-useless bloody things that didn't stay on as the straps unbuckled or else they twisted around on the leg, rode up off the top of the boot etc plus if you were issued new 'green' ones you had to black them out with boot polish.

Can someone please tell me why they ditched the puttees for this?

I honestly prefer web anklets to puttees any day of the week! I have worn web anklets for many years as a re-enactor and I always liked them. It is important to have the correct size. I always wore the earlier issue with leather straps.

After all, the Germans copied them....

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

I've worn both puttees and anklets as a re-enactor, and although puttees are a pain to put on, I find that they stay in the correct place for a longer time than the anklets + the provide better ankle support.
    Anklets twist and turn, even if they are the correct size, since the buckles get caught on all sorts of things.

But why use ankle boots in the first place.