Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

British 1940 dated gas mask

Article about: Hello, I have this very poor condition gas mask but dont know anything about it. I have a childs ww2 mask and was issued with the Mk V when in the services. This one has the microphone mould

Default British 1940 dated gas mask

Hello,
    I have this very poor condition gas mask but dont know anything about it. I have a childs ww2 mask and was issued with the Mk V when in the services.
    This one has the microphone moulded option on the left hand side and the remains of a 'duck bill' exhaust valve on the front. Its marked PBC 29 12 40 (date), and LOT 153.
    Can anyone enlighten me?
    Cheers,
    navyman.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British 1940 dated gas mask   British 1940 dated gas mask  

Default re: British 1940 dated gas mask

Hi Guy, it is a British "Special Services" respirator. Nothing to do with Special Forces or anything like that, as these were issued to the Police Forces etc. Also known as the Civilian Duty Respirator .

Cheers, Ade.

Ade is spot on....

.....as always

Thanks

Danny

Thank you Ade and Danny,
    The mask has been sitting in the corner of my collection for ages and I had nearly forgotten it until I joined this forum and started investigating unidentified bits and pieces which were gathering dust.
    Cheers,
    Guy.

Quote by navyman View Post
    Thank you Ade and Danny,
    The mask has been sitting in the corner of my collection for ages and I had nearly forgotten it until I joined this forum and started investigating unidentified bits and pieces which were gathering dust.
    Cheers,
    Guy.

No problem, I look forward to seeing what else you have

Even though its in poor condition compared to other Civilian Duty/Special Services gas masks, its still a very nice item, most likely with a little bit of history behind it

Thanks

Danny

?

These came with a small light weight canvas bag when issued, you can sometimes find these on Ebay, basically its a herringbone weave tape strap, stitched to a thin canvas bag, with has two vegetable plastic buttons on the front to close the flap. Going back 20 years or so you could buy these in un-issued condition, still in there original recycle cardboard box, complete with the bag, anti dim kit for about £10.00

Nige.
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "

Canberra Man
    ?

Spot on. It is definately 1940 because in 1941, the respirator shown and the civilian issue had an extra green filter fitted to guard against the gasses the Germans were known to be developing.

Ken