Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

British 1944 pattern webbing equipment

Article about: Hi, Just surfed in, joined up, and adding my h'apenny/pound's worth: Another place to buy 44 is Sabre Sales, portsmouth, uk. Well worth checking out with a torch, dust mask, and packed lunch

Default British 1944 pattern webbing equipment

Hi Guys, over the years I have resisted the temptation to start collecting this pattern equipment. I had always thought "not really used, post war, etc." Well, over the past few years I have met two Airborne Veterans who were issued with this kit in the Far East in 1945, albeit after the Japanese surrender.

Then I was staying with my Pathfinder Vet friend Don Turner. I asked if he was ever issued with this webbing? He recalled the pattern and how you did not have to clean the buckles, but did not think he ever wore it? Well, we sat going through his photo albums and I found some great photos of it being worn by him and others in the XXI Indep Para Coy in Palestine in 1946.

So I began to collect this pattern kit. I have yet to find it all. Please post any you have.

I will start with the most basic item, the belt. The buckles idisplay well the the non reflective green annodised finish.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British 1944 pattern webbing equipment   British 1944 pattern webbing equipment  

British 1944 pattern webbing equipment   British 1944 pattern webbing equipment  

Default Re: British 1944 pattern webbing equipment

Mint unissued 1945 dated bayonet frog, nicely marked and dated.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British 1944 pattern webbing equipment   British 1944 pattern webbing equipment  

Complete '44 pattern water bottle, cup and cover. Bought for £8.50 at a local antiques fair. All dated 1945.

These proved to be very popular even after the introduction of the 1958 pattern webbing. Many soldiers carried these well into the 1980's if they could.

Attached Images Attached Images British 1944 pattern webbing equipment  British 1944 pattern webbing equipment 

Another water bottle cover. Not marked at all.

The cover has an internal pouch in which is carried a water filter bag known as the "Milbank Bag" . Nicely marked and dated 1945

British 1944 pattern webbing equipment   British 1944 pattern webbing equipment  

British 1944 pattern webbing equipment  

Here is the basic set of '44 pattern webbing assembled.

Detail pics show the makers markings and date to the X straps. Note the design of these: much wider where they sit on the shoulders to help distribute the weight better, plus the extra strap as compared to the 1937 pattern cross straps.

The '44 pattern small pack.

Very different to it's 1937 pattern predecessor. The pack has no internal compartments and features a water proof lining. On the detail pic you can see the lining & maker and date markings. The pouch on the right side holds the mess tin. The web tab on the back flap can carry a shovel. The two straps hanging underneath the pack can be used to carry the poncho.

The "L" straps used to carry the pack itself, which can be seen on each side, are very similar in design to the 37 pattern though. These clip onto the ammo pouches.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British 1944 pattern webbing equipment  
    Attached Images Attached Images British 1944 pattern webbing equipment 

44 pattern binocular case. Condition is very nice, dated 1946.

Here is one of Don's photos which has set me off on this new collecting venture. Don is on the right giving instruction on the PIAT. Note the packs, water bottles, etc.

I asked what the target was, but he could not remember.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British 1944 pattern webbing equipment  

Here are a few more items, althought these are not strictly speaking 44 pattern webbing, I will include here as they were designed for use in the same operational area which the webbing was designed for.

First off we have a large water carrier. This item was actually designed earlier and was first available to airborne forces. The early examples were khaki tan in colour and had a black plastic screw top. This later example was made in jungle green and has a more sturdy heavy alloy screw top.
    Attached Images Attached Images British 1944 pattern webbing equipment 

Hi Ade, I remember having a 44 pat waterbottle and cup on my webbing in Belize in 86, The cup was really usefull and could be used as a pot to heat water if needed.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast