Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

British 1962 pattern poncho

Article about: Here is an uncommon object, the forerunner of the lightweight nylon poncho (Often incorrectly called 58 pattern poncho). It seems to be far superior to the lightweight in its water repellanc

Default British 1962 pattern poncho

Here is an uncommon object, the forerunner of the lightweight nylon poncho (Often incorrectly called 58 pattern poncho). It seems to be far superior to the lightweight in its water repellancy as it is rubberised so would make a better groundsheet or rain shelter. Its is just much heavier.

Internal,central,front cord to go around the waist. Combination of eyelets and press studs around the edge so it can be attached to others to make a larger shelter. V shaped front and back.

I expect some of you guys remember these ?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British 1962 pattern poncho   British 1962 pattern poncho  

British 1962 pattern poncho   British 1962 pattern poncho  

British 1962 pattern poncho   British 1962 pattern poncho  

British 1962 pattern poncho  

CBH
    ?

There is a similar Canadian version.

ILH
    ?

Thanks Roger, I have one of these but it is unmarked, so didn't know that it called itself 62 pattern...... I had no idea that 58 poncho carriers were designed for gas capes.

Does this mean we should be calling the water bottles 62pat too (no earlier examples known)?

Quote by ILH View Post
    Thanks Roger, I have one of these but it is unmarked, so didn't know that it called itself 62 pattern...... I had no idea that 58 poncho carriers were designed for gas capes.

Does this mean we should be calling the water bottles 62pat too (no earlier examples known)?
    58 pattern carriers may of been designed for the rubberised capes in the dark green or the 44 pattern poncho i suppose. Or did the carrier get introduced at the same time ?

You could be right about the waterbottles, i will have to look into it.

?

Quote by CBH View Post
    There is a similar Canadian version.
    Chris I can still remember building hootches ( shelters ) with the Canadian variation by tying the neck closure shut and hanging it from a branch and then tying the rest off to what was ever available near the ground and crawling underneath for a bit of shut eye ...

Regards Mark

?

Very how you learn things.. I have been calling 58 Bottles & ponchos all my career lol..Cheers Terry.