Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

British Bren gun mag pouchs

Article about: hi i found these pouches that i have never seen before . any thoughts?

Default British Bren gun mag pouchs

hi i found these pouches that i have never seen before . any thoughts?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Bren gun mag pouchs   British Bren gun mag pouchs  

British Bren gun mag pouchs   British Bren gun mag pouchs  

British Bren gun mag pouchs   British Bren gun mag pouchs  

Default Re: British Bren gun mag pouchs

Not unusual, these are extra ammo pouches.

Nice examples.

Cheers, Ade.

thanks fore the reply Ade

?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Not unusual, these are extra ammo pouches.

Nice examples.

Cheers, Ade.

Wholeheartedly agree with you Ade, I think that it is unusual though to see them COMPLETE with the narrow chest strap, the majority that I have seen have usually had it removed for some reason.

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

The yoke is British, but the pouches look Canadian. British Utility pouches did not say front and rear on the back.

I can send you a Canadian yoke if you want to fully "Canadianize" the set.

?

thats an interesting observation-about the front and rear stamping being Canadian. Regarding the omission of the belts -perhaps thats a postwar mod and maybe an attempt to convert them into utility pouches? Shame really. Weren't the aux pouches also used to carry 2" mortar bombs? I'm also pretty sure that the aux pouches as they were section and platoon issue and not personal issue didn't get blancoed?

?

Quote by AndyT View Post
    thats an interesting observation-about the front and rear stamping being Canadian. Regarding the omission of the belts -perhaps thats a postwar mod and maybe an attempt to convert them into utility pouches? Shame really. Weren't the aux pouches also used to carry 2" mortar bombs? I'm also pretty sure that the aux pouches as they were section and platoon issue and not personal issue didn't get blancoed?

Hi Andy

As I understand it, the original idea behind these pouches was to enable extra re-filled magazines to be carried for the section Bren or AT Rifle.

According to my references they could hold 6x Bren mag's, 4x Boys AT Rifle mag's, 6x 2in mortar bombs or a number of grenades/small arms ammo etc.

They were supposed to be issued at the rate of 4 sets of pouches per Bren Gun team and 2 sets per Boys ATR team.

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy
    Last edited by jimpy; 07-29-2010 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Grammar

If anyone needs a front pouch(the one with the strap) I have a box full of unissued 1940 and 1941 dated Canadian ones with the yoke...the rears are another story...only have a couple.

Quote by AndyT View Post
    I have a few friends who do the re-enacting thing and I was just told that some of them butcher the front pouches for extra long utility straps...perhaps this is why these are sometimes seen without the straps.