Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

British brush and button stick

Article about: Hello, picked up these items at the Thetford Militaria Fair today. I particularly like the fact they are both marked to individual soldiers. The button stick is made of bakelite.

NCA
    ?

So i'm told the red screws on the Binoculars means they have been filled with Nitrogen to prevent fogging and mildew.

Quote by NCA View Post
    So i'm told the red screws on the Binoculars means they have been filled with Nitrogen to prevent fogging and mildew.
    Thanks for that.

Quote by douglas2496 View Post
    Ah, that possibility did not occur to me.

I dont actually know the answer to this, but I suspect British soldiers did not normally use these cases but merely used a webbing cover for the rifles action only. Having said that I think you are quiet right that they exist, but I can only imagine they are not common at all as I cant remember when I last saw one. I would be happy to know more about these cases.
    Cases might have been used for a much rougher type of transport, back of vehicles, planes, airdrops? Just guessing here... I went and looked at mine, and I pride myself in my ability to decide whether something is the genuine article or not - making a snap judgement based on look, smell, soiling, wear, markings - and since I now see there are fakes, I was very relieved to think that mine is real.

Here are a few pics of the scabbard, it is 45" long. If only I had an Enfield to put in it but I handled my last SMLE years ago. I was interested in British stuff before German, years ago, maybe something to do with falling in love with old BSA motorcycles, Triumph cars, and some family ties. Had a great uncle in Bristol that was in a UXB squad during the war, didn't make it... I remember going to visit my great aunt there in 1966, one of the only things I can remember is a memory of his dress uniform and hat still hanging by the door of the apartment.

Thanks for that, most interesting.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3