Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

British Cigarette ration tins

Article about: Nice one Ade, love the Goth style writing

Default British Cigarette ration tins

Some more of my ration tin collection.

Smoking was very popular in WW2 and cigarettes were considered a vital part of the rations.

First we have the larger sized tin, which is the same size as the boiled sweets tin I showed in another thread. Maker marked "3 MB".
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Cigarette ration tins  

Default Re: British Cigarette ration tins

Here we have two versions of the smaller pocket sized tin with hinged lid. Note the different fonts used for the lettering.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Cigarette ration tins  

Circular grey tin for 50 "fags" as we Brits called cigarettes. These tins were found in the "Compo" ration packs.

NAAFI issue tin for 50 Wills Woodbine cigarettes.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Cigarette ration tins   British Cigarette ration tins  

You have some really nice ration items, and in awesome condition as well!

Thanks for showing Ade

RAF issue Cigarette tin, Air Ministry marked & dated guaranted until March 31st 1944.

Hi Leander, thank you. I have enjoyed sharing them here.

I have one other tobacco tin to photograph and add to this thread.

Cheers, Ade.

Looking forward to the last one Ade

These sort of items (personal items) are some of the most interesting items in my opinion.
    And it seems that these sort of items are forgotten almost, or regarded as trash/worthless items... But in the end they stand out as unique and interesting items that everybody wants

These photos might interest you.. Some photos I took under the production of the Norwegian war movie "Max Manus"... Here they have just landed in Norway after a trip to England..
    It is a drop container that has opened on impact.
    The items are repro deluxe and yeah, don't need to say more..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Cigarette ration tins   British Cigarette ration tins  

British Cigarette ration tins   British Cigarette ration tins  

Nice

I like small personal items like these. As you rightly say, for years they were considered worthless, but now they make good money.

Cheers, Ade.

A final one.

This is really more of a Home Front item and is not military issue. But it is interesting as it shows evidence of wartime re-cycling. The public were urged to give back tins for reuse. Shops would collect them. You can see where the original full sized paper label, which covered the whole of the tin, once sat. Note the adhesive mark. When the tin was reused, the later small sized paper label was put in place to save on paper.

The tin contained Pipe Tobacco "Ogdens No6 Mature Tobacco"

Cheers, Ade.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast