Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

British and Commonwealth mess tins

Article about: Hi Sorting out I realised I had quite a collection of mess tins so I thought I'd share them with you. Please feel free to add more variants if you have them! First up is the classic D-shaped

Default British and Commonwealth mess tins

Hi

Sorting out I realised I had quite a collection of mess tins so I thought I'd share them with you. Please feel free to add more variants if you have them!

First up is the classic D-shaped mess tin used from the Napoleonic wars until just before WW2. Interestingly this one is actually dated 1940.

Next is a cavalry mess tin, again with a late ate of 1941. Unfortunately I only have the dish half of this:

Below is the standard tin plated mess tins used by most British Forces in WW2:

Next is an unusual Indian oval aluminium mess tin dated 1945:

Finally we have the standard aluminium mess tins introduced as part of the 44 pattern jungle kit and still used today:

Hope these are of some interest to you.

Ed

?

Hi Ed here are my matching Canadian Army mess tins they appear to be in unused condition much of the time when you find them they are miss matched this particular set are C-Broad arrow and maker marked unfortunately they are not dated or numbered like a few other examples I have seen by different manufacturers but I think they are a nice early set all the same.
    The mess tins were in the original khaki drill material bag of issue when I found them which is as well C-broad arrow ,dated and maker marked .

Regards Mark K
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British and Commonwealth mess tins   British and Commonwealth mess tins  

British and Commonwealth mess tins   British and Commonwealth mess tins  

British and Commonwealth mess tins   British and Commonwealth mess tins  

That is a lovely set, not something I've come across before I must confess.

Slightly off topic, but I find it interesting that the Canadians have spelled it Aluminum instead of Aluminium even back then.

?

Thanks Ed I was lucky enough to come by this set some time ago I have a few but this is my only matching set with the original carry bag much of the time the bags were either discarded and or used for other things such as rations and or personal belongings.
    I have a Mk II helmet with two tone net in my collection that has had a khaki drill bag cut into strips and used for helmet scrim.

Regards Mark K

?

Thats just because every body else is spelling it wrong

Regards Mark K