Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

British Emergency Fire Brigade Medic Box

Article about: Hello all! I've just been gifted a very nice box from the son of the veteran who carried it originally during the war! It is a box that had medical items and was carried by Home Guard units!

Default British Emergency Fire Brigade Medic Box

Hello all!

I've just been gifted a very nice box from the son of the veteran who carried it originally during the war!
    It is a box that had medical items and was carried by Home Guard units! The story of the veteran is very interesting and as soon as I have the whole text available I will create a thread here to share the information!
    Small hints:
    he observed the air raids on London,
    he was shot by the gunner of a LW bomber as it flew at tree-top height,
    he was one of those who tried to serve their country by coming up with ideas on how to clear mines off of the Normandy beaches prior to D-Day... Therefore, he knew General Hobart! Yes, the one from Hobart's Funny D-Day tanks!
    There's a video of his idea online and I'm sure many of you know about it!

To cut a long story short, I was gifted this box and I would like to do my best to conserve it! I need your help on how to gently remove surface rust without damaging the paint of the box!
    Is there any way of saving what's left of the insignia sticker?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Emergency Fire Brigade Medic Box   British Emergency Fire Brigade Medic Box  

British Emergency Fire Brigade Medic Box   British Emergency Fire Brigade Medic Box  

British Emergency Fire Brigade Medic Box   British Emergency Fire Brigade Medic Box  

British Emergency Fire Brigade Medic Box  

My first thought would be to leave it as it is and wax it with some renaissance wax and keep it warm and dry. This would darken the rust and it would keep its character with its paper label and monogram.

For best rust removal leaving as much paint as you can I would suggest soaking it in molasses , a long process but it does not touch the paint or alternatively use electrolysis but you would lose the paper label either way. The paint around the monogram is flaky so it would be hard to keep it if you try removing any rust.

Thank you mate! I think I will leave it as it is... Perhaps some WD40 to help the metal parts work better and moisture the dry metal of the box and the lid... I read online about rubbing ng rust with a potato and dish soap... It sound silly but what do you know about that technique?