Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

British Emergency Ration tin R&Co 9/44

Article about: Guys, New today, tin is in good order. What was the nature of the ration, some sort of dextrose? Ther was not a lot of it whatever it was! Thanks Jock

Default British Emergency Ration tin R&Co 9/44

Guys,

New today, tin is in good order.

What was the nature of the ration, some sort of dextrose?

Ther was not a lot of it whatever it was!

Thanks

Jock
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Emergency Ration tin R&Co 9/44   British Emergency Ration tin R&Co 9/44  

Default re: British Emergency Ration tin R&Co 9/44

Hi Jock,

The emergency ration tin contained :- 1.25oz of chocolate nut cake, 4 tablets of pressed sugar, soluble tea sufficient for a 12oz mug and a pack of matches.

Obviously "If all else fails, get a brew on!" Is it still sealed?

Cheers, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Nice Yours will be made by Rowntrees, the sweets company. The chocolate, I am informed, had a chemical addative to keep you going.

Hi Ned, as far as I know, this one contained only chocolate? I have seen opened examples and they appear only to have one large block in waxed paper.

I have a fondness for ration tins. Here are four from my collection. The top left one is still sealed, note the band around the tin. As you can see, I have one the same as yours.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Emergency Ration tin R&Co 9/44  

Close up of the sealed band around the tin.

A nice tin like yours Jock would be worth around £25 to £30. An unopened sealed tin would command around £75.

Cheers, Ade.

PS: these tins are now reproduced for re-enactors.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Emergency Ration tin R&Co 9/44  

Here is the scarce version issued to the Royal Navy. These were not gilt plated and the text is of course different. The lid is also hinged and it appears to have a striker plate for matches embossed onto the bottom. This one has the owners details very lightly scratched on the reverse: "L.S. Campbell JH" and then very lightly "HM Submarine....." I cannot make out the name of the boat. "LS" would be his rank of Leading Seaman.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Emergency Ration tin R&Co 9/44   British Emergency Ration tin R&Co 9/44  

Default Re: British Emergency Ration tin R&Co 9/44

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Nice Yours will be made by Rowntrees, the sweets company. The chocolate, I am informed, had a chemical addative to keep you going.

Hi Ned, as far as I know, this one contained only chocolate? I have seen opened examples and they appear only to have one large block in waxed paper.

I have a fondness for ration tins. Here are four from my collection. The top left one is still sealed, note the band around the tin. As you can see, I have one the same as yours.

Cheers, Ade.

Hi Ade,

I suppose there were different contents in these tins depending on who manufactured the contents, that makes sense. The one that i stated was, funnily enough, the same as you have shown, Bovril. I wonder if the contents were always the same for each manufacturer, or varied? Whatever, i guess they were all high in sugar and proteins, and maybe even Benzedrine, as you've already suggested. Interesting!!

Cheers, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Cheers Guys,

Sadly it is empty, but it was shiny and caught my eye in the sunshine. Its hoofing down today though!

I do like that a brew is included, I guess like today the content varied supply dependant. But the theme is high energy and a bit of speed?

Thanks again

Jock

Hi Ned & Jock, you guessed the secret ingredient.

I will relate a little story about these. Two of my friends, both still alive fought at Arnhem with the XXI Pathfinder Coy. Both we different in character. One eat his before he got on the plane! The lure of chocolate was too great! While the other, who later became a Policeman post war, was starving during the final day of the battle, but did not eat his as he was not ordered to do so!

Cheers, Ade.

Like you say Ade different characters different solution. I think I would have had mine if only to deny the enemy.

Ade do you have or could you make a photo of the more common tins so that I can keep my eyes open for them?

Jock

Hi Jock, since you posted your tin yesterday I have gone a bit mad posting all my rations tins. If you see any of them, pick them up. None of them are now are exactly common and the average value would be at least £25 each, empty.

Cheers, Ade.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast