Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

British issue 'musette' bag- 159ParaLghtRA 44th Indian Airborne 1944/5.

Article about: If this item hadn't come with it's provenance, I would have been blissfull in my ignorance, but a Loser nonetheless!, so it's 'show and tell' time: I was talking to a stranger about ww2 stuf

ILH
    ?

Default British issue 'musette' bag- 159ParaLghtRA 44th Indian Airborne 1944/5.

If this item hadn't come with it's provenance, I would have been blissfull in my ignorance, but a Loser nonetheless!, so it's 'show and tell' time:

I was talking to a stranger about ww2 stuff when he says he has an old army bag full of tools in the van, belonged to his dad in the Parachute Artillery in India during the war.

At first glance I was dubious- it looks like a cheapo camping bag, but he pointed out the name and number and then rang his dad (92 years old) to double check- Yes definatley issued to him in India during the war. Lunch over, he donated it (THANKS)!

Made from lightweight green cotton cloth with green enamelcoated steel buckles. Adjustable shoulder strap sewn to top rear corners. Steady strap across rear (removed on this one- QV holes each side). Tapered sides and rounded corners similar to US musette bag. About the same size as US version. Inner pocket across bottom half of rear- made from white cotton.

The most notable thing about this one (maybe a one-off, perhaps they are all like this?) is the mistake with the lid closure- the buckles should be attached to the lid, while the straps should be on the front pointing upwards.

BBC - WW2 People's War - 159 Parachute Light Regiment R.A/44th Indian Airborne Division

sorry the pics ain't great, taken in a hurry.
    anyone seen one before?
    jim.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British issue 'musette' bag- 159ParaLghtRA 44th Indian Airborne 1944/5.   British issue 'musette' bag- 159ParaLghtRA 44th Indian Airborne 1944/5.  

British issue 'musette' bag- 159ParaLghtRA 44th Indian Airborne 1944/5.  

Default Re: British issue 'musette' bag- 159ParaLghtRA 44th Indian Airborne 1944/5.

Never seen one before either. Interesting!

Cheers, Ade.

Default Re: British issue 'musette' bag- 159ParaLghtRA 44th Indian Airborne 1944/5.

Just goes to show an ordinary canvass bag that on its own dosnt mean much, but with the provonance of the owner becomes a very interesting item. I have included below a picture of my frame of Indian airborne badges from WWII. I hope you enjoy them. John.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British issue 'musette' bag- 159ParaLghtRA 44th Indian Airborne 1944/5.  

I found this thread while searching for something else and although it is 4 years old thought I would resurrect it as it appears to have solved a puzzle for me. I have a similar bag that came from a house clearance (although it was kept in the shed), and it was found with items, such as a canvas machete scabbard and ephemera that indicated that it was owned by an individual who served in the Far East, in the Welsh Regiment if memory serves.

Anyway, I thought I would show my example as supporting evidence, although there are some differences. The inside also has a white cotton inner pocket. Hope this is of interest. Cheers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British issue 'musette' bag- 159ParaLghtRA 44th Indian Airborne 1944/5.   British issue 'musette' bag- 159ParaLghtRA 44th Indian Airborne 1944/5.  

?

Hey Jim,

I was going to say that I thought I saw something about these bags on Karkee Web, but when I double checked it turned out to be your bag! lol

Great collection, by the way!