Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

British leather case- purpose?

Article about: Hi, This is an unmarked, but almost certainly british (construction) leather case. It is made around an internal metal frame with base, and there is carboard between the frame and leather, a

ILH
    ?

Default British leather case- purpose?

Hi,
    This is an unmarked, but almost certainly british (construction) leather case. It is made around an internal metal frame with base, and there is carboard between the frame and leather, as well as under the lid.
    My best geuss was a magazine carrier, but there are no internal divisions- another site suggested a bespoke explosives carrier.
    1960s wooden 303 ammo box behind it for scale.

Anyone know what it is?

cheers, jim.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British leather case- purpose?  

Default Re: British leather case- purpose?

Hi Jim, I don't know, but my Dad has one too. It came from my Uncles estate and was used as a tool bag.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Hi Jim,
    can you take some pics of the inside, but as a first guess possibly home guard as they had a lot of leather gear instead of webbing, and it looks as if the hide has the pattern 1914 style straight graining effect on it which again is very common on HG issue items.

Nige.
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "

Hi Jim one of the electricians who used to work for me also had one of thease,
    it used to contain his testing equipment, i am not sure if it was exactly the same size but not to far away if i remember rightly and deffo same design if any help to you,

cheers Ronnie

ILH
    ?

Cheers all,

I was thinking along the same lines, HG or special equipment/tools.

will get some more pics on Wednesday.
    jim.