Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

British No.62 wireless set

Article about: Hi Guys, this radio is usually carried in my Jeep. It is a good working order (but I only use it to recieve: transmission requires an radio licence) and is complete with it's canvas cover. I

Default British No.62 wireless set

Hi Guys, this radio is usually carried in my Jeep.

It is a good working order (but I only use it to recieve: transmission requires an radio licence) and is complete with it's canvas cover. I have various items which go with it, such as head sets, different ariels, counterpoise leads, etc.

It works from a 12 volt battery.

These sets came into use in 1945.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British No.62 wireless set   British No.62 wireless set  

British No.62 wireless set  

Default Re: British No.62 wireless set

Hi Ade,

That's a nice radio. I assume it is a VHF set? I have a few more modern sets from the Vietnam period plus a pair of German radios from WWII but so far no British sets.

Cheers
    Gary

Default Re: British No.62 wireless set

Hi Gary, it is fun to operate. I could pick up stations in the USA and Russia on it.

Frequency range is 1.6-12MHz. RF output 1W. MO and crystal control. R/T and CW. Range up to 25 miles.

Here is a good link about the set:

http://www.pyetelecomhistory.org/pro.../pthc-ws62.pdf

I once spoke to an Airborne Signaler who used one of these. He told me after climbing a hill with the set on his back, it failed to work. So he hit it with the butt of his MkIV Sten gun! Unknown to him, the CO was behind him and saw what he had done and said "Is that in the Operators Manual?". "No, Sir" he replied "But the set is now working". The CO replied "Carry on!"

Cheers, Ade.