Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

British Type E Night Vision Goggles

Article about: These are the ones that got away Got sniped in the last 10 seconds on eBay, as usual. Eh, at least here's some nice pictures to ponder over; and for reference. Martin

?

Default British Type E Night Vision Goggles

These are the ones that got away Got sniped in the last 10 seconds on eBay, as usual. Eh, at least here's some nice pictures to ponder over; and for reference.

Martin

Default Re: British Type E Night Vision Goggles

Hi Martin,
    Sniping sux ........ although I HAVE resorted to it after ( like you ) having it done to me. One can only stay "un-soiled" for so long!
    Thanks for these photos at least - I never knew night vision / light enhancement technology went back so far .... I thought it was fairly recent?
    Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

I forgot to save the photo with the date, they are dated april 1944. I'll find it and upload later.

Martin

Haven't seen some of these for a loooong time! They were colloquialy known as "Tabbys" and were a type of IR device initially designed with the co-operation of the Royal navy for use in night signalling, I think the development was undertook by companies like EMI and Barr & Stroud the bino makers.

They were later used in AFV's like the Churchill, Cromwell, Sherman and Daimler Armoured Car as well as Jeeps and 15cwt trucks. Some pairs were employed during the crossing of the Rhine in '44.

Due to the lack of powerful, portable batteries at the time and inclusion of delicate valves that could be temperamental at the best of times, these NVG's were hooked up directly to the vehicles electrical system. A later version of this type of IR equpment was used on the Chieftan tank.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.