Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

British ww2 bergan/rucksack ????? Wierd sighting tool??? Help please?

Article about: Hi Gents I just got given a bergan of old "crap" from a mate about to go to sandy places again, very generous but a few items of interest... The bergan itself is my first wonder, i

Reg
    ?

Default British ww2 bergan/rucksack ????? Wierd sighting tool??? Help please?

Hi Gents

I just got given a bergan of old "crap" from a mate about to go to sandy places again, very generous but a few items of interest... The bergan itself is my first wonder, it seems to tie in with 38pat kit, but I havent much knowledge on these things, the only marking I can find is a faint war arrow with 68 on it and "lightening" on the few zips it has, I know post war civvy kit closely resembled issue kit but does anyone know a definative way of telling if it is ww2 issue or post war civvy copy please?

Also, there is a strange tool in it, in a 58pat style pouch, it folds out to give two aperature sight type axis?????? a few numbers stamped on but nothing more, Im stumped unless its a weapon sighting tool or some navigational thing.

Any info on either would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and best wishess

Reg
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British ww2 bergan/rucksack ?????  Wierd sighting tool???  Help please?   British ww2 bergan/rucksack ?????  Wierd sighting tool???  Help please?  

British ww2 bergan/rucksack ?????  Wierd sighting tool???  Help please?  

Reg
    ?

Default Re: British ww2 bergan/rucksack ????? Wierd sighting tool??? Help please?

Also inside was a 1991 dated green para helmet, a 1950 battledress top, a 38 pat waterbottle and a modern Staffords dress cap!......

Default Re: British ww2 bergan/rucksack ????? Wierd sighting tool??? Help please?

Quote by Reg View Post
    I just got given a bergan of old "crap" from a mate about to go to sandy places again, very generous but a few items of interest... The bergan itself is my first wonder, it seems to tie in with 38pat kit, but I havent much knowledge on these things, the only marking I can find is a faint war arrow with 68 on it and "lightening" on the few zips it has, I know post war civvy kit closely resembled issue kit but does anyone know a definative way of telling if it is ww2 issue or post war civvy copy please?
    The bergan could well be a WW2 issue item. It is certainly the correct type. Is it possible to see some better pictures of it, and the markings? This type of rucksack was never part of the 1937 Pattern Web Equipment, but was issued along with the British Army's cold weather and mountaineering/ski-ing equipment. During WW2 it was also used by commando units and the like.

Quote by Reg View Post
    Also, there is a strange tool in it, in a 58pat style pouch, it folds out to give two aperature sight type axis?????? a few numbers stamped on but nothing more, Im stumped unless its a weapon sighting tool or some navigational thing.
    The "strange tool" is a Pointer Staff, which was used to indicate targets. In simple terms, if you turn the large flat piece down at 90 degrees to the sight part (and use it as a handle), you can look through the peephole at the top of it and line up the foresight on a distant point. Then a second person can look, over your shoulder, down the second sighting strip and see the same object. It was commonly used by Vickers MG teams to indicate targets to other team members, such as the rangetaker.

Not a bad load of crap by the look of it

Rob

Reg
    ?

Thanks Rob, Ill try and get some more pics on. There are a couple on ebay (the internets greatest accurate resource ;-) with markings on a leather patch just inside, Ill have a closer look, and thanks tor the pointer staff ID :-)
    Cheers
    Reg