Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Browning M2 tripod help!

Article about: heres a pic of the markings on a british tripod ,with a vehicle reg stamped on it ,i believe it was a centurian tank ,,i sold it along with the gun some years aggo

Default Browning M2 tripod help!

I have recently aquired a 1919a4 browning and M2 tripod but after looking at various pics of tripods i am in need of some help, on my tripod is an angular piece of metal that is bolted to the flat plate, i have not come across this on any other tripod pics that i have seen. Is this a later addition? as i was hoping my m2 tripod was ww2 era, also on the tripod is a webbing strap which is attatched to the front leg with a leather tab, the end of the strap has a metal end which is far too new to be of ww2 vintage and i am very dubious of this. Can anyone help or offer any advice

Browning M2 tripod help!Browning M2 tripod help!Browning M2 tripod help!Browning M2 tripod help!Browning M2 tripod help!Browning M2 tripod help!Browning M2 tripod help!Browning M2 tripod help!

Default Re: Browning M2 tripod help!

The plate was a local manufacture item to deflect the cartridge brass off to the side. The straps are also local manufacture for fastening the tripods rear legs together so you carry it easier. They were added at some convenient time during the mounts life. The tripod should be stamped with date of manufacture and company .

Sorry for the late reply but I've only just seen this thread. This is a M2 tripod copy made by DISA for the German MG53. It came with a large 2 handled adapter to fit the MG53.

Quote by m3bobby View Post
    Sorry for the late reply but I've only just seen this thread. This is a M2 tripod copy made by DISA for the German MG53. It came with a large 2 handled adapter to fit the MG53.

hi there m3bobby
    thanks for the reply, i did not know that they used m2 tripods with the mg53, i am suprised !!!! do you know much about m2 tripods as i have since starting this thread swaped this tripod for what i hope to be a usa manufactured one and hopefully of ww2 vintage,
    many thanks
    jamie

You should be able to identify the tripod with the tag on the head. It would be dated and named to the manufacturer. I don't know of any other countries producing the M2 tripod. That mount for the MG53 is really neat. I would love to try the whole thing out.

I've found that not all are tagged, some are stamped but these Disa (Danish Made) tripods are pretty devoid of markings.

I'm looking for one marked like this to go with my British L3A2 .30 BMG.

If you post some pics Jamie, I'm sure we can ID it.

The FTR means Factory Thorough Repair. I suspect the low spot is where they milled out the original stampings and inserted their own. Nice outfit though. They could either have a small metal tag riveted to the head or they would be stamped.

Yep, thats where they milled out the original markings and pantagraphed the new details. I've no idea why they did this as usually Enfield Barr out the original markings and apply their own in the same area. The UE71 A666 serial number denotes that it was a United Kingdom Enfield conversion in 1971 number A666 so there were quite a few converted. The gun also had similar markings, the original 1919A4 markings were milled away and the new UExx A serial number and details were marked in the recess. My own L2A3 I think must be a trial or experimental model as the markings are diffrent to normal and the original markings remain. It was originally a museum exhibit at the Bovington Tank Museum in the UK so its entirely possible.

The way that gun is marked is typical of the guns that I used in the Canadian Army in the 70s. We just struck out the original marks and restruck our own. According to Peter Laidler, who's the senior weapons tech in the UK, these guns were used for overhead fire guns until just a few years ago. Your gun may not be so far out of service at that...

I know Peter really well, we both have a serious intrest in Bren guns. I sent him that photo of the tripod and he says he cant recall ever seeing those markings. He thought they jus had normal US marked M2 tripods.

ATB, Chris.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast