Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Bruneval Raid, Webbing and Weapons

Article about: Hi all, Just a quick set of questions, as B&W photographs do not show what I want to know about webbing, nor can find reference. What colour was the webbing used on the raid? Plain tan/k

Default Bruneval Raid, Webbing and Weapons

Hi all,

Just a quick set of questions, as B&W photographs do not show what I want to know about webbing, nor can find reference.

What colour was the webbing used on the raid? Plain tan/khaki, No.97 "pea green" blanco, or even scrubbed? Alot of photographs show the webbing slightly dark so I dont think scrubbed, but don't know if it was blancoed or not...

Also, weapons. There are a few good photos of the men post raid, but most have SMLE's or are carrying nothing. Obviously Bren's were used but what about SMG's? They had a lot of Thompsons in the UK but had the Sten filtered into widespread use at this point? As I have a photograph of one paratrooper on the boats post raid who has a MkII with a T handled stock (it actually appears to be the only photograph I can find post raid of anyone with a SMG of any type!) Also, what were the issue dates of the T handle stock and full wire frame stock on MkII's?

Thanks for any help,

Paul.

hog
    ?

Default Re: Bruneval Raid, Webbing and Weapons

Just reading a bit about the raid, I would (IMHO) assume that weapons and equipment would be the regular stuff that Units such as those used for the atttack woud have used their normal uniform befitting an airborne drop and assosiated weaponry, just a guess but looking at photos of the time albeit B&W they dont look anything different, I am sure though that a member with far superior knowledge than me will be able to furnish you with better info.