Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Calculator Radiac No1 - Cold War ephemera

Article about: Good evening gents, Being on a rest day, as is my wont I was routing around in the "Pandora's Box" the represents much of my personal history and I found this and thought members m

Default Calculator Radiac No1 - Cold War ephemera

Good evening gents,

Being on a rest day, as is my wont I was rooting around in the "Pandora's Box" that represents much of my personal history where I found this and thought members might find it morbidly interesting;

A simple and unassuming little item that only SNCO's and commisioned officers were allowed acces to unless it scared the bejesus out of the "Toms". Just the same as dosimeter readers. Everyone was to wear a dosimeter but only those in positions of command could read them. We also had a table of radiation doses that specified according to dosage who could fight on, who could fight on but should be withdrawn from contamination and those who were so contaminated the they were sc***ed so they should fight on anyway

Something like a circular slide rule, if the Cold War turned hot it would allow one to calculate just how big a bite of the "S**t sandwich" you were going to enjoy

It was used in exercises employing notional data and honestly it terrified me and occasionally I still have bad dreams about what we might have gotten into

I can't say what it means to me that this was never used in anger

Calculator Radiac No1 - Cold War ephemeraCalculator Radiac No1 - Cold War ephemeraCalculator Radiac No1 - Cold War ephemeraCalculator Radiac No1 - Cold War ephemera

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Thanks for showing Mark.