Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Can anybody date this British hurricane lamp?

Article about: Hey guys, I picked up this Veritas Pax paraffin oil hurricane lamp a few years ago, but I'm not really sure what time frame it was manufactured in and was hoping someone might know. It sat i

?

Default Can anybody date this British hurricane lamp?

Hey guys,

I picked up this Veritas Pax paraffin oil hurricane lamp a few years ago, but I'm not really sure what time frame it was manufactured in and was hoping someone might know. It sat in an antique shop North of Seattle for years and was was too expensive for me, but one day I made an offer and the guy accepted. I thought it was neat that the original paper label remained intact and that the glass guard featured an elephant.

?

I guess this one is similar in style...

"Palestine disturbances during summer 1936. Jaffa. Group of Royal Engineers engaged in dynamiting"

Hard to be accurate with a date for this, i'm thinking the design could be inter war right through to the 1960's when the company ceased trading and was sold up and asset stripped. It's the sort of item that was often bought just in case, but never used, hence the good condition.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

I really appreciate the insight Ned! It totally explains the unused condition!

The antiquated style of the label seems like it would be out of place in the post WWII market...