Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

can anyone shed any light on this enfield sling?

Article about: Hi everyone, found this in the bottom of a bag of mixed items. I have never seen a enfield rifle sling like it, with "flat" webbing instead of the usual thick rounded edges. could

Default can anyone shed any light on this enfield sling?

Hi everyone, found this in the bottom of a bag of mixed items.
    I have never seen a enfield rifle sling like it, with "flat" webbing instead of the usual thick rounded edges.

could anyone educate me??

can anyone shed any light on this enfield sling?can anyone shed any light on this enfield sling?

There's a bit of 'gen on this site that may be of help to I.D. your sling old pal.

Weapons: Slings

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    There's a bit of 'gen on this site that may be of help to I.D. your sling old pal.

Weapons: Slings

Regards, Ned.
    Thanks Ned, appriciate the pointer, but still cant seem to find it.
    Am i just being blind?? cant seem to find anything that is this width 1.5 inches instead of the usual 1 1/4.
    and un-beaded
    Its the correct length at 46ish inches to be a rifle sling.

?

Does it have any markings whatsoever? Is the brass stamped? Do the rivets look sloppy? It may be Indian with that streaking on the webbing.

It's possible that this sling represents some rejected economy measure which eliminated the beaded edge to facilitate production. Of course removing the beaded edge would cause the adjustment hooks to slip, so it appears they tried to remedy that problem by increasing the width.

Thanks for the suggestions!
    No there is no stamping or markings anywhere on the sling, and the rivets look good to me.

Interesting thoughts on the possibility of the economy measure, and yes the adjustment hooks slip far too easily under the slightest ammount of pressure.

could this be for anything other than a sling?
    thanks again,

?

You won't find it on Karkee Web, it is a "made up" sling using correct sling hardware with rolled rivets (not correct) and a 1.5 inch wide piece of some spare webbing that, as karkee said, is too thin. Probably locally made to fill a need when a standard sling wore out. It is interesting but far from a standard issue product likely coming out of India or one of the Commonwealth countries who were in short supply.

Thanks everyone!!
    an unusual bit of webbing, thankyou all for you thoughts!